Tuesday, February 4, 2014

TESTAMENT - Dark Roots of Earth (2012)

A Lesson in Botany: Necrosis of the Roots


At least! The tenth Testament studio album saw the light of the day. In this case my expectations were growing each single day of waiting. As compared with “The Formation of Damnation” (released four years earlier) which was like a new beginning with Alex Skolnick, this time the line-up is stabilized (excepting the drummer as always…), the band played many successful live shows. Even if their previous album was pretty mediocre with some great moments, I was still hoping the new thrash adventure with the beast from Oakland will be unforgettable musical experience. I didn’t look forward to magical whiles of the eighties, I realized that recording the second “The Legacy” was impossible, but I wanted to get something in the mix of “Low” and “The Gathering”. The first thing coming from the album was the front cover: really good work that absorbed my attention immediately. Quite decent start, I thought. And, as always, I decided not to listen to tracks the band put in the web. Finally “Dark Roots of Earth” started to spin in my deck…

And I have to admit that opening “Rise Up” is a very promising song. Again I can hear ship-shape production by Andy Sneap, maybe this time it is more convincing to the previous album, but this sterility with no signs of any ‘madness’ well-known from the eighties is still perceptible. Ok, in four minutes of “Rise Up” the band serves quite interesting and memorable work of guitars, still in thrashing way, Chuck Billy didn’t change his way of singing, and what is more, it still sounds absolutely superb. He is imperishable! The second element of this band, Alex Skolnick, confirms his top-notch guitar class. As always he shows delicious solo, with passion and metal feeling. So, appetite comes with eating, for sure it’s good description after listening to the first song. And the same feeling is present on the beginning of the second “Native Blood”. But a real disaster comes after one minute, because from 1:03 to 1:23 I can hear… blast beats! In Testament’s music??? Yes, exactly… For me, as a Testament fan since 1991, this fact is simply inacceptable, and what is more, it makes the song… softer! Unfortunately this kind of very questionable enrichment of music appears also at 1:57 and 4:05. And this poor pseudo melody in the background! Is this a newbie Gothenburg melodic crew? I am completely down-hearted even if it consists of superb guitar works of both guitarist and very interesting Chuck singing…

It’s hard to write, but with every second of the album, my anger and impuissance seem to be leaders of the mind. The blasts are also in “True American Hate”, again in three moments but this time they are much shorter (about four seconds). And again the very good song is totally devastated by these needful ideas. Aggressive vocals, almost two minute guitar lead with never heard before kind of melody in Testament career (3:50 – 3:58), all for nothing! Fortunately blasts are gone now, but it doesn’t mean my review will turn into laud. No, it won’t, because of song with number six and name “Cold Embrace”. To put it briefly, it is the worse song ever written by the authors of “The Legacy”. The band decided to record a ballad. And though the idea isn’t bad, not every band member thought it as a good move. But finally the old sentiments won, probably during playing old stuff live with the ballads. That’s true Testament recorded only few such songs and not on every album, but when they did it, I got the songs absolutely great! Just to name “The Legacy”, “Return to Serenity” and “Trail of Tears”. These songs are immortal classics, while “Cold Embrace” is the biggest mistake. What is more, the structure reminds me of “Sentient 6” of Nevermore, but in Testament case, I deal with very poor imitation. The first signs of musical calamity are audible during the opening due to completely banal melody and weak vocals (which is unthinkable!). Nothing is changed when hard guitars enters the stage with very simple yet completely ineffective structures. Moreover, this ‘monster’ has almost eight minutes. Gross exaggeration, guys! The ballad that had to be a splendid variety of the album, came out like a blunt nail ripping my forehead. A musical hideousness!

Well, now it’s good moment to forget about these unpleasant whiles however I’m not going to swallow any antidepressant pills. Namely the track called “Throne of Thorns” makes my blood run really faster. This is absolutely the best song here which I can bravely put next to all-time Testament classics, especially when it comes to the era of “The Ritual”. It starts off with calm yet good-tempered tunes, then after eighteen seconds hard guitars rip the idyl apart. Maybe everything isn’t played in fast tempo, but well-thought-out riffs make this song absolutely massive and burdening the senses. Fine chorus, with discreet melodics, is an introduction to some kind of Chuck’s spoken words, which is very interesting idea here. But the best is yet to come, namely at 3:18 tempo is changed with over one minute Skolnick solo. The track is silenced by the opening motive and gorgeous Eric lead. And I have a question, why this Erick work is silenced little by little here? I tell you, I cannot understand such doing, but when you take a look on the last track of extended version of this album, you see “Throne of Thorns” in longer version. And yes, exactly, this Erick solo is unbroken here and sounds superb! For me, a piece of dishonesty…

As the peruser can notice, I didn’t write anything about the remaining four songs. Unfortunately, I’m not going to create any praises and applauses, because these tracks are only good (title “Dark Roots of Earth”), or very, very mediocre. I can hear the absolutely lack of life in song structures (especially “A Day in the Death”, and “Last Stand for Independence” in spite of faster tempos), in addition “Man Killed Mankind” (although I point out on pretty interesting chorus) has awful ending harmonic outro, it completely doesn’t fit to Testament music. But that’s true, both guitarists did a really splendid job on the album, but let’s take “A Day in the Death” once again, when first solo played by Eric lasts only eight (!) seconds (it seems to be incomplete…), unlike the second by Alex which has almost eighty seconds.

Of course, while analyzing the extended album version, there is a need to write something about bonus tracks. One of them is mentioned just above, the rest three ones are just covers. And in this case… I am totally helpless. As far as “Dragon Attack” (by Queen, but I’m not a fan of this band and simply don’t like it) and “Animal Magnetism” by Scorpions (a real sleeping draught, even better than the Polish football team playing with ten milligrams of estazolamum) are unsuccessful and boring adaptations, the real disaster comes with Iron Maiden’s “Powerslave”. It is a fucking desecration! I simply cannot understand, I mean, when the young band worships their long-time musical favorite and record well-known classic tunes, but in this case, when first seen and everything looks just ok, the overall feeling is a synonyme of failing. Although I consider Chuck Billy one of the best vocalists on the scene, here he completely felt short of expectations especially in chorus (really terrible effort!), his interpretation of Dickinson lines sounds like a vain attempt of the beginner, who has an own way to show his talent (?) the rest of band guys. This is complete misunderstanding, what is more, musical side didn’t convince me as well, especially when I think about the classic version heard many, many years ago… 

My severe criticism of the album proceeds from a huge disappointment, so the truth about this album is like a one of the worst nightmares in my life. “Dark Roots of Earth” is the weakest album of the band. After many careful listens, still I ask myself the same questions. How did they do it? How can I rate it in positive way? No, it is impossible this time, when there are only two (TWO!) very good songs. Two long-time guitarists again give me the best breathtaking performance, however I never praise the album due to its guitar leads. Chuck is like a tower of strength, but he failed in two tracks definitely. The rhythm section did the work without any highlights. Unfortunately bad things reign here with no mercy for me, but the most ‘memorable’ is using of blasts. One can say that music doesn’t know boundaries, that’s right, I agree, but Billy & company took a tour through the minefield with the biggest antipersonnel mine called “Cold Embrace”. Did they find the entrance? I will see on the next album! The whole is like a sinusoid, from fine opening, through blasts, emotionless mediocrity and “Cold Embrace”, to crushing “Throne of Thorns” and inexpressive “Last Stand for Independence”. And do I have to mention these covers once again??? “Roots” seems to be too long album, when mediocrity moments turn into dullness, simply it makes me sick (because Testament is my beloved thrashing act)! And another thing, but I do not consider it as a drawback, namely this album isn’t in thrash vein on the whole, there many elements that make the music become even in more heavy metal shade, especially when it comes to the guitar leads and some riffs. But now I can forget about any returns to the magical past, simply due to lack of quality, which is the main blame to the band. After releasing the previous album I was reckoning on something better, exciting and worthy of note. Unfortunately I got very weak, average and polite piece of music with several moments to praise. Too much negative things and feelings from such band as Testament is. Definitely too much… 

30/100
-Tlacaxipehualiztli

(previously written for Encyclopaedia Metallum, on April, now modified a bit)

No comments:

Post a Comment