Tuesday, March 11, 2014

DAWN - Slaughtersun (Crown of the Triarchy) (1998)

The Slaughtering Dawn


It’s hard to believe but I discovered this album for the second time few months ago, listening to it at least once a day. And I cannot get off it… At one time, shortly after first listens, I considered this album as another bastard son born out of Dissection womb and another good stuff of the next pretenders to the throne. The album wasn’t noticed enough by me, now I know that was a horrible mistake. Nowadays “Slaughtersun (Crown of the Triarchy)” glows at full splendor in my collection, giving its slaughtering rays without any mercy. And even if it is not as catchy and famed as “Storm of the Light’s Bane”, Swedes know how to conquer my senses. I don’t know if the album truly caught the attention it deserved for, but I guess that “Slaughtersun” didn’t get a satisfactory applause in the past.     

I made mention on the second Dissection album but the Dawn’s offer isn’t a cheap imitation of Nödtveidt works, that’s for sure. But two first albums of Dissection are some kind of determinant for the things to come. Dawn managed to clock in here six compositions (plus one instrumental piece) in almost sixty minutes so it’s challenging task not to be a bringer of boredom, as the songs have eight minutes at least! Musically they deliver an essence of black aggression, based on unmerciful riffs, destroying performance of Jocke Pettersson on drums and typical for this genre Henke Forss vocals. And by their skills and metal passion, they avoided dullness moments, even if some parts seem to be a bit monotonous (“Ride the Wings of Pestilence”, but I don’t treat it as a blame in this song). Each track emanates a morbid-like melancholy fed by melodious layers (and here Dissection shades are heard most) that I cannot forget about.  All is done by simple means, without any technical and progressive arrangements, but supported by very good sound realization of Abyss studio. The musical basis here is to tame relentless ideas raging through the avalanche of slaying sounds. And they managed to do it, controlling unbridled fury that attacks the listener from every corner. Of course, the adjective ‘melodious’ is nothing unknown in the case of this album, as every song has its own, let’s say, catchy moments, sometimes even epic and melancholic. I think “The Aphelion Deserts” is a good example of such destroying track, when Swedes mixed extremely fast tempo and memorable guitar tone. It seems to be the most violent song here, what is more, it became the best one during my first meetings with the “Slaughtersun” beast. Putting this song on the fourth place of the track order is a very good move. Let me explain: “The Aphelion Deserts” are preceded by “Ride the Wings of Pestilence”, the slowest piece here, even with some smashing doomish parts. But the most significant thing, the stifling atmosphere that girdles the mind, is one of the best moments on the album. And the confrontation of these two killing songs in the middle of the album, is a real manifestation of Dawn’s power. Two different tracks, two different emotions…

And except for instrumental “To Achieve the Ancestral Powers”, the rest is built in more varied form. I mean, Swedes juggle the songs tempo, from slow, almost melancholic parts to the moments of savage fury and unmerciful stark madness. Two last songs “Stalker's Blessing” and “Malediction Murder” have quite long openings, based on slow peaceful riffs that bring a breathing space with strong monumental guitar works… but it is simply an introduction to the musical insanity. And I think that an apogee of “Slaughtersun” comes during the last “Malediction Murder”, it lasts eleven minutes and contains everything I wrote above. And I arrive at a conclusion: this song is the best here and makes a splendid ending of the album. I have no choice, I press the play button once again and greet the first sounds of “The Knell and the World”…

 Summing all the things up, the second album of Dawn is a real treasury of superb compositions. With these bestial sounds, I can easily forget about any Dissection comparisons. And for certain the music isn’t outdated and even if it’s melodic, as the sounds are executed in lethal form. I can see a clear progress in composing as compared to the debut. Unfortunately the “Slaughtersun” album was the last one in full length activity of the band, however, according to Encyclopaedia Metallum, Swedes are still active after some years of break, but there is only an ominous silence in the kingdom of Dawn. So, if you don’t know this band, check their albums immediately out, especially the second full performance: great feelings guaranteed. One of the best blackened albums I have ever heard in my life. 


90/100
-Tlacaxipehualiztli

(written on March, 2014)



No comments:

Post a Comment