Wednesday, October 8, 2014

THE DEAD GOATS - Children of the Fungus (2013)


The Goats, the Fungus, the Swamps


…children of the damned, children of the damned…

Yyy, stop that, it’s not about the damned, it’s not about the famous Maiden’s song, it’s about a fungus. So, what we have here? Goats, mentioned fungus, swamps. One could say a good thing for the biologists. And maybe such an opinion is right, however this material is a real temptation for all disciples of old school metal of death. Thus my ears are entranced beyond the shadow of a doubt! But it is very hard to explain before myself why the hell I met the band few weeks ago only… Anyway, this piece of black wax is my first date with the goats. Instant Classic made a really good work with the issue, all looks perfect, and the front cover is memorable. In addition, cd version also has been included, but the download key didn’t arise my interest though (wonder why?!?!).    

Musically I got another splendid tribute to the times were the debuts of Entombed and Dismember were reigning (in blood) on the scene. Perfect production of sound, the whole sick atmosphere, this specific guitar tone that can be recognized by the deaf ones, easily takes my flesh and throw it into the beginning of the nineties. Even the vo-kills are some kind of mixture of L-G Petrov and Klas Morberg, being supported by deeper guttural exhalements from time to time. The credo of the band isn’t taken from the nowhence. The musicians are pretty experienced (Neuropathia, Incarnated, Squash Bowels, Abused Majesty), but, as they say in the interviews I have found, they don’t give a shit about nowadays music trends and fashions. They play what they feel. And even the music isn’t original and new, even it has such well-known core (don’t even think about the metalcore, you bastard!), children have taken me by a real storm! Yes, I found in these 21 minutes all the things I needed: quality, determination and furious metal that dismembered my tissues and entombed my remains in a grave. Clear? The riffs are sparkling with harshness and crudity, but also with great catchy moments on the other hand. The fast tempos dominate through the song structures, yet the opening of “Fistful of Goats” gives some hope for a breather. No! A dozen or so seconds pass and the goats shows a musical blitz once again. But do not get me wrong, the short slowdowns are present, especially with the bass lines audible through the wall of the sound.

Six tracks and 21 minutes: for sure the title song is the most recognizable due to its catchy guitar parts that remind me of the biggest highlights from Dismember discography, “Of Fire” is a good example here. Add the perfect bass lines and my senses starts to fly to the “Dreaming in Red” lands. Or captivating slowdown in the second part of “Thou Shalt Have No Other Goats Before Me”: pure entombedish recollections. Sometimes the Spanish masters from Haemorrhage enter the board (due to the similar vocal duo in “On the Unhallowed Ground” and “Fistful of Guts”), sometimes a nice solo lead takes its place. But if all the influences are well-known and clear, children become very, very solid release. There is no time for yawn or ass scraping. My attention is still maintained on the proper level, even if the band offers something different a bit. Namely the last delicious hot dish is Napalm Death’s nice song “Instinct of Survival”. Do not expect any sounds of mercy. I guess the task was to kill the listener off, and believe me, the goats did it…

It is impossible not to recommend this rotten piece of metal. The Dead Goats is another young band that gives me so many whiles of satisfaction and joy. And being drowned in such tunes since the very beginning of the nineties, I still need this kind of musical expression to live. The band satisfied my wants even though the fungi aren’t my most delicious main dish. Moreover I hate to mushroom. But this species coming straight from Bialystok area, I swallow with a smile on my face. Good appetite! 




90/100
-Tlacaxipehualiztli

(written on October, 2014)           

No comments:

Post a Comment