Friday, December 19, 2014

GRAVEYARD - The Altar of Sculpted Skulls (2011)

Cult of the Altar


Through last two years I bought death metal items in most cases. And being supporter of Spanish Graveyard since the first tune of “Prologue: The Reaping” from the debut album, I got “The Altar of Sculpted Skulls” copy (released by Pulverised Records, 2012) last November… Yep, I know, it’s hard to believe, fast blink on calendar and the year, but, as one could easily say, better late than never… Even if I’m going to tell that this band became one of the highlight acts in nowaday metal scene and one of the best metal bands generally in my private ranking! And believe me, this Ep isn’t an exception. To put it briefly, it is a perfect thing that merges the debut album and the mighty second crusher “The Sea Grave” that took hold of my mind to the end of time. The band managed to throw off the gyve of too crystal “One with the Dead” sound realization, giving dirt, crude yet powerful and massive production created by Javi Felez in his own stronghold Moontower Studios. And listening to the opening title track, the monstrous heaviness of music overwhelms me unmercifully. Trying to gasp for some fresh air, my scared and disoriented senses have no way to escape. The altar casts a spell on me…

While relishing the music itself, there is a need to mention about the front cover made by Putrid. He replaced Mr. Giordano and he made a perfect awesome job. Again with two colours only, black and white in sight, again breathtaking picture. And if the debut was a some kind of determinant of the band’s style and attitude, here I have no surprise: it’s still bestial Swedish-like death metal played the ancient way, the way it should be executed, however some influences taken from the rest of European scene (especially Dutch and British) are audible as well. And such a woven vibe makes my day simply better. Production-wise is rather far from to be another Sunlight clone, yet this well-known stitch is still present, especially when characteristic captivating melodic tunes or the guitar structures are on the stage. It must be added that Spaniards can create amazing atmospheric sounds (the beginning of “An Epitaph Written in Blood”, or instrumental “Cult of the Shadows”) that bring some fear and horror-like moments. These fragments, just like the rest of compositions, are supported by devastating and devilish vocals of Julkarn, he made a really good job giving next strong brick to the altar.

Mind you, there is no weak song, even the last two crushers (re-recorded “Ritual” and remixed / remastered “Howl of the Black Death”) known from the previous works, perfectly fit to the rest. It’s really hard to choice the leader in this deathly sauce and I’m not going to do that. Simply, the whole kills, and it is (almost) impossible to put the button stop. The altar seems to be like a drug, it keeps me strongly and infects my senses. 24 minutes of bestial death metal that envenoms the blood. What more is needed for me? 
   

90/100
-Tlacaxipehualiztli

(written on December, 2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment