Sunday, January 11, 2015

ZARPA - Bestias del poder (2014)


Quaffing the Metal Extract



While I added this eleventh album of Spanish Zarpa to the Encyclopaedia Metallum site, I was just… proud. The band has been active for almost forty years (with several years of break), still with unflagging Vicente Feijóo as a commander. And writing about this band I know how contrarious can be searching for any new metal band. I would be liar in root and grain announcing to all concerned I have been worshipping Zarpa since time immemorial. No, of course not, and even I have drowned in metallic dimension for twenty five years by now, I met Zarpa while listening to the compilation release “La Zarpa y el sable” unleashed in 2009 with Hard Rocker magazine. What is more, it was completely unplanned purchase as the magazine simply fell short of my expectations. Anyway, the music of Zarpa made an indelible impression on my metal world, especially the oldest song “Herederos de un imperio” transvalued my eighties heavy metal ranking: the album recorded with the same title as aforementioned song became one of the best album created at that time. I knew I had found a heavy metal treasure.
   
Now, in totally different times and reality, the band is still active giving new albums to the poor world. Matter of course, the child of Vicente changed and matured, however the present style initiated few albums ago continues. Being placed in strong undisputed heavy metal fumes, Vicente as the only composer of both music and lyrics, has a simple formula how to make splendid sounds: melody and technique supported by passion, remarkable talent and experience. As clear as crystal, isn’t it? And the opening song “Alma inmortal” proves my words. With fantastic stellar and organic production, such different as compared to many nowadays releases, it rams the doors to my heart down. This is perfect opening killer, maintained in rather not too fast tempo. It has everything I loved the band for: powerful memorable riffs, strong, masculine and expressive Vicente vocals sung in Spanish as always, amazing and catchy chorus lines, smashing lead guitar performance with raving rhythm section. Ha, for me it isn’t anything new knowing some tracks from the compilation, yet “Bestias del poder” couldn’t have a better start, however during many meetings with this album, I find the next song “El reino de la verdad” probably more devastating. It is way slower, however all descriptions I gave above, I could assign directly to this great track. And to be more precise, these slower songs simply rule amongst the rest: “No me dejes caer”, “Pecado mortal”, “Sentado frente al espejo” or the closing one “Torres de Babel”. They are the best on this album.
   
Does the foregoing sentence mean the faster tracks of “Bestias del poder” are weaker? Yes and no. Well, let’s listen to “Metal Bats” or “Jaque al rey”, “Maquina del tiempo”, “Dioses del rock” (with strong hard rock touch) and the second part of title fantastic song: then the Spaniards are synonym of heavy metal hurricane that causes sonic mass destruction. Fast, furious, are the violent face of Zarpa bringing another way to worship this album. But there is a need to mention about two pieces “En la batalla” (however great slowdown is offered here) and “Dentro de ti, dentro de mi”, I considered them as the gap fillers on the start, yet during countless meetings with the album, I would write they are… ok, up to standard and nothing else unfortunately, or maybe the remainder is maintained on such great level? Ha, it’s quite possible. This duplet I want to compare to another pair with killers entitled “Dansa de la oscuridad” and “Demoniocracia”, being something different in the kingdom of Zarpa. The first one is a kind of some gloomy ballad, however the beginning of the track may mislead due to nice drums cannonade. It glitters with all the best musical and vocal meanings Zarpa can give, where I admire the slowest long guitar lead, great choirs and keyboards. And when I was pondering about unforgettable sense impressions that “Dansa de la oscuridad” brought to my world, I arrive at conclusion these splendid tunes would be proper soundtrack to… fairy-tale. While closing my eyes I become a wayfarer visiting some unknown lands… I didn’t expect such a feeling! All right, let’s back to the second “Demoniocracia”: the tempo is similar here, with many broken structures, untypical keyboards and guitar leads passages that make strange, let’s say even cosmic aura, full of internal growing anxiety. “Demoniocracia” is ended by short speedup, giving place the last fifteenth amazing highlight “Torres de Babel”. Like an inquiring laborant I extract the heavy metal radicle. I’m just speechless…

Looking through the album content consisting of many songs on the very beginning, I was afraid a bit. Such amount for the heavy metal album is just enormous, Vicente could divide it into two separate recordings as well. Mind you, there are no any needful introductions, covers or instrumental fillers that enlenghten the whole by artificial means. I got almost 64 minutes of pure music written especially for “Bestias del poder”. The wealth of vocal and musical forms simply captivates me. Despite of two weaker a bit shots that don’t have significant effect on the final mark and keyboards using in plentiful way in few songs, this album brings absolutely killing heavy metal music. I didn’t find any signs of boredom or catnap moments, having my mind obsessed by Bestias since the very first second of “Alma inmortal” to the closing sound of “Torres de Babel”, I easily drift and travel through Zarpa dominion, struck by juggling emotions and moods. It is not a convulsion or agony of the old men that brings rinsings of the once lost fame, it is not a reunion album or fake compilation with awful quality live recordings, at last, it is not a subreption. It is just another great album of the great band. And I can clearly see and feel that future looks pretty fine for the band. I mean, I wait for the next album equanimously.   

97/100
-Tlacaxipehualiztli

(written on January, 2015)

No comments:

Post a Comment