Sunday, March 8, 2015

ALDIOUS - Dazed and Delight (2014)


Delicious and Histotrophic
 

Right now I can’t recall precisely what made me to check this band out. Maybe a review on Encyclopaedia Metallum, maybe a virtual trip that led me to the unknown meanders of youtube? Anyway, after seeing the “Spirit Black” video, something has sparkled between me and this quintet of…  Japanese women. Indeed, it’s hard to explain the hard fact I bought “Dazed and Delight” on cd in frantically exorbitant price (as compared to a standard one, triple total costs), although the title became some kind of sensation in my vast collection. I mean, bird-dogging all the gothic, symphonic and cacophonic metal (?) with female-fronted bands, I rather feel uttermost disgust than anything else. Aldious is even more than that. This all-female (!) band became the first one with such a crew. And to put it briefly, this Japanese changeling is simply decent metal yet with different culture, look and clothes. And mentioned “Spirit Black” was a kicking ass track with head-banging almost all the time. Then on the spur of the moment I decided to enter the kingdom of Aldious searching for more songs…

One of such killers was “Butterfly Effect” that strikes roughly being just an opener to “Dazed and Delight”. With crushing beginning and the almost thrash guitar structures, it serves pretty broken rhythms. Really good shot making my mouth open and one of the best here. If the production is concerned, I am a bit off guard. I think it’s proper rather for a younger band with low budget, not for experienced and known (locally but in Japan) outfit. But, I consider this way a good thing: not sterile, even muffled in guitar layers yet with very vivid audible rhythm section. And it is not a secret I arrested my attention on Re:NO in the first place. Not only because she’s a beautiful woman that sings in Japanese and I have no idea what lyrics are about (fantasy and love, according to Metal Archives), but mainly due to her position in the band. This album is her second journey after replacement of the former Rami and it’s obvious there are always comparisons between these two vocalists. I’m not an exceptional dude claiming that Re:NO is softer than tigress Rami, yet the main question should be asked: is Aldious worse band now with Re:NO behind the microphone? Well, after many careful listens I found that Re:NO offer simply fits to the current vision of the band. Personally I’m not able to decide the dispute on foregoing verdict, the most important thing for me is Re:NO don’t use any operatic feeble moans or just high-pitched chants that make me puke and, although I’d like to hear more firmer performance, just like in “Imagination” and “Megalomaniac”. In turn she cannot convince me to vocal lines in "魅惑のパレード" and "アネモネ", not saying about “The Breeze at Dawn”. And even I’m safety-first in praising ballad songs, I’ve to admit that “I Don’t Like Me” shines here in full splendor due to Re:NO’s magic beyond the shadow of a doubt. Still I have in mind her splendid performance (both vocally and visually) on official video-clip. Believe me, it’s tearful. Of course, I need to mention about her spiritual moments in “Puffy Eyes” and “Other World”. She’s not a wild animal, she’s like Graphium androcles.

The basic musical layer is deeply rooted in a present-day power metal, yet Aldious stylistics put its light fingers on more heavy metal dimension as well. Mid-paced tempos dominate, however three songs as opening “Butterfly Effect”, “Dominator” and “Megalomaniac” are really fast. The riffs architects, Yoshi and Toki, provide honest, decent and memorable guitar parts, with load of melody and catching moments, some of them taken definitely from the heritage of NWOBHM. The same refers to the fantastic leads. Finally, there is a need to write something about the rhythm section heroes, about Sawa and Aruto. Yes, these budgies are true pearls on the album, not an usual ingredient to the sound. And even if the broken rhythms are served rather seldom just like in “Butterfly Effect”, Sawa, the bass player, supported by unflagging Aruto, displays her talent through the whole album. It seems I listen to one bass lead. In addition, each song contains of recognizable bass fragment that makes me smack with delight, especially in mind-crushing “Dominator” or “Puffy Eyes”.  

Yes, as the track number five has been mentioned, some differences are put on the table. After four first songs the band decelerates. “Puffy Eyes”, slow and hard, with beautiful guitar solo, Sawa’s scourge and amazing Re:NO chorus, didn’t impress me at the beginning. I don’t why, maybe I treated it as a disjoint? Never mind, now I worship it. And if this is positive, two pieces called “Red Strings” and „The Breeze at Dawn” are artistic mistakes and determine my lower final mark. Let’s start from track seven, “Red Strings”, which isn’t metal at all. It’s rather radio rock ditty, that’s true it has sticking melody with not harming anybody Re:NO and her absolutely girlish beautiful parts after 3:40 making neighbouring stones soften, but it doesn’t work in with metal (!) face of Aldious. But the worst is yet to come. Namely, the nine in schedule brings four minutes of musical and vocal disaster. Maintained in tempos so similar to “Puffy Eyes”, it glitters with awful guitar melody, even Re:NO creates here something horrible I cannot understand. The Japanese wanted to diversify the whole in an artificial way or maybe there was a lack of good ideas? At present I just skip it without any hesitation.

The aforementioned couple with not fully convincing "魅惑のパレード" and "アネモネ" makes an impression of emotional burnup. “Dazed and Delight” loses its real effigy and becomes to lay violent hands on itself. It’s good the band searches for any new sounds with the best example of “Puffy Eyes”, but their prime moments are just ‘normal’ songs without any strange offers. It’s important that about metal Aldious, there is nothing to be ashamed for. When the last second of “The Breeze at Dawn” disappears like a smoke in the windy day, high-powered “Dominator” enters the stage being a real rescue brigade. Probably the fastest one here, based on simple riffs, with wild Aruto and Sawa’s splendid bass, it’s like a vulnerary. Luckily therapy goes on, as the next “Megalomaniac” isn’t worse offering straight forward demolishing riffing and crude slow-down at 1:15. Yes, the ship gets under sail. But the best is on the end I guess. The closing track “Other World” is just amazing. This beautiful composition has possessed my senses since the first meeting. Although it doesn’t drive at breakneck speed, but the whole band’s performance is a first quality. I’m speechless, my ladies!

Summing the things up, I am dazed but not fully delighted. Despite of knowing some tracks before cd purchase, I was afraid of the final product. It was something new, something different. And now I confess that it could be much worse. Fortunately, it is a good metal album, there are unbearable things I cannot live with, but there are definitely more positive shades and feelings, you know, listening to it is like a ride on sine curve. To be honest with myself I didn’t treat them better just because they’re sweet and cute women. What is more, the “Dazed and Delight” listening time coincided with two totally opposed crude barbarian slabs: Manilla Road “Voyager” and Ataraxy with their “Revelations of the Ethereal”. Time with great sensations, with different experiences, with darkness and the bright light; the fourth Aldious album became a gate to their dimension. The dimension I want to follow, as their three former albums are just a must for me as of now.  

Re:NO, Toki, Yoshi, Sawa and Aruto! You did a mess-up in my world! 



78/100
-Tlacaxipehualiztli

(written on March, 2015)

No comments:

Post a Comment