Monday, April 6, 2015

CYNTIA - Limit Break (2014)


Cyntia's Party: Against Depressive Black Metal


There’s something strange in my metal possessions. Strange yet definitely new. Being rather old school worshipper since the ages I decided (and do not try to ask me why…) to face some Japanese all-female power bands. At first Aldious from Osaka destroyed my senses, now I deal with Tokyo-based Cyntia. What is interesting, the first meeting with these girls was during “Run to the Future” video-clip and it wasn’t good. I mean, the keyboards and its melodic lines was the main factor I had disliked the song. Then I found out that Cyntia has a full rights member Ayano as a keyboardist since their start in 2011. But! She is not only a giver of filler sounds, no, she has a huge influence on what Cyntia looks and sounds like…

While reading several reviews on “Limit Breaks”, one important thing has been put between the lines: Cyntia has recorded the best album so far. Being armed in such an argument, I started to listen to it, however the beginnings weren’t easy for me. For sure I didn’t find a song similar to aforementioned “Run to the Future”, yet Ayano didn’t convince me in “GeAr.” and “Night Flight”, but besides, she is a killer behind her weapon. This performance is like a second part of guitars that supports Yui in a really good way. One can wonder why I wrote something about keyboards at the start as metal band is on the table. Well, this instrument is like a red rag to a bull for me and I was almost always considering it as something useless and lowering the final mark. Fortunately during “Limit Break” Ayano is a proper addition to the whole called Cyntia. Anyway, musically I would name this band a safe power metal with clear hard rock influence (“SSS” reminds a bit of Europe from the eighties) and progressive touch in the closing title song. Luckily this isn’t indigestible chaff in the vein of DragonForce or Pathfinder. In spite of two ballads, Cyntia provides rather straight forward and fast tempos making the whole 56 minutes a thing that precisely entwines my senses. If the production is concerned, there’s nothing to be ashamed of: the sound is simply great, each instrument has its own place in a room…

…full of Saki’s charm! Yes, I like the way she does it. Not operatic, not whimpering, Saki uses the middle range and her timbre sounds really unhampered, although sometimes even girlish and very optimistic. She leads the words smoothly and with catchy moments all the time, for the phrase ‘never say never’ in the title song I could carry her in my arms until the last days of the world. This fragment cannot leave my mind, I hum it even on the job.

Riffs. Yui fights bravely with Ayano, bringing portions really good guitar works, melodies she provides don’t mean any sound softening or banal parts. The rhythm section isn’t worse element, especially Azu bass has its splendid moments (the opener, “カル “, “Limit Break”). First listens to this stuff brought two leaders amongst the rest: “Ride on Time” and “孤影悄  “, now after many encounters with them,  it doesn’t seem to be simple and clear as it used to be. The most important is there’s no lame song, the ballads didn’t drive me in into hyperglycaemia. Generally speaking the album is just equal with astonishing ending lasting almost nine minutes.

Trying to cut the thing short, I have to admit that I discover something for me under this overcoat of cuteness and innocent youth. But it doesn’t mean any infantile feelings and the like. Yes, this is poles apart as compared to such known for me Japanese names like Intestine Baalism, Unholy Grave, Butcher ABC or Defiled. Is “Limit Break” (and some weeks earlier Aldious’ “Dazed and Delight”) a sign of mid-life crisis? Truly I don’t know, and put it mildly, I don’t care as long as Cyntia provides a good metal music. Forsooth, the Japanese taste really good with this offer, no dyspepsia is detected as well. That’s good. And writing these words, Cyntia unleashed another fifth (!) album in their very short career called “Woman” with complete different image (as always). Two new tracks “Kiss Kiss Kiss” and “勝利の花束を-gonna gonna be hot!-“ sound quite promising…  

85/100
-Tlacaxipehualiztli

(written on March / April, 2015) 

              

No comments:

Post a Comment