Sunday, December 29, 2019

GRAVEYARD / MORBID FLESH - Split (2018)


From the Iberian Peninsula Comes the Menace

Graveyard side.

Before writing anything about the song „I, the Godmaker”, I must repeat once again: their third album from 2016 still belongs to one of the best deathly slabs recorded in the twenty-first century. And I tell you, they are real busy bees looking at their full discography. The year 2018 brought another two titles: „Back to the Mausoleum” Ep and split with Morbid Flesh, however this reviewed song has been recorded during Ep session in 2017. And you know what? The track simply slays. In a flash, it joins the best ones ever recorded by Graveyard. I got crushing riffs and varied paces. I got captivating and truly mesmerising lead-like guitar part. I got 'from the depth of the abyss' vocals. I got just superb solo on the end. I got the ancient spirit of metal. Simply I got a metal anthem. Being completely speechless, „I, the Godmaker” makes my Graveyardish madness still continues...

Morbid Flesh side.

If their comrades recorded a song that differs from the previous album, Morbid Flesh follows the deathly searchings in „Rites of the Mangled” domain. The main idea of „Seventh Hell” is to keep it ugly, obscure and eerie, not complex but simple and straight to the single cell. Even if the not so fast tempo dominates through the catchy groove parts supported by fantastic melody-driven lead, there are outbursts of furious pace that ravage everything in sight. Also, vocals lines are varied from deep growls to maniacal shrieks. Being in the claws of the old death metal, they boldly juggle different influences. And they do that in a really devastating way.

Summary side.

Released as a strictly limited piece of black wax, this title is definitely worthy of admiration. The songs are neither session cripples nor poor rehearsal failures. They are just two brilliant death metal hits, showing rather different musical view. Even if both tracks have been recorded in the same place (Moontower Studios) by the same man (Javi Felez), there is no way to mistake them. I think the future for those Spaniards seems to be really bright and writing the words, Graveyard has just released another album in September. Thus I wait for Morbid Flesh move.


93/100
-Tlacaxipehualiztli

(written in December, 2019)  

No comments:

Post a Comment