Sunday, February 7, 2021

SARCASMO - De Ocultis (2000)



Death Is Just a Beginning...

I did not plan to write this review. I mean, not right now, in future, maybe distant... You know, that's pretty obvious for such a music: impressive and important to me. Nevertheless our life always does its own thing, whether we like it or not... Well, February 2nd is a very special date for me, not only that my daughter was born on that day fifteen years ago, but due to the death of Mario Medina, the founder of Sarcasmo and Amabilis Insania, the guitarist, the vocalist. The friend of mine. As usual, such a piece of news is kind of a shock. It's completely incomprehensible and unexplainable! Being in constant contact with Mario since ages (to be more precise since the ending period of the nineties) I still cannot believe it, even in January I sent him some pictures showing Polish winter. He was just curious...

How did I come to know about Sarcasmo? Not sure now, probably I saw a flyer in some zine. Or was it a single flyer that arrived to me in one of the countless envelopes at the time? The rest was simple, I wrote a letter, and soon I got the tape with „Searching the End from My Past” demo released in 1998, however it didn't come with original cover art. Mario recorded it by himself and it became something spectacular in my collection shortly thereafter. The first side consisted of mentioned four Sarcasmo demo tracks and a half of „Prehispanic Beg” from Xipe Totec, the b side with some songs of The Chasm coming from their „From the Lost Years...” album and three songs from debiut of Dies Irae „Etherial”. And even if I knew perfectly The Chasm back then, I went nuts for Sarcasmo and Xipe Totec as well. Sarcasmo prepared four exciting songs, rather long kept in Mexican death metal standards with gloomy doom passages, yet some melodic fragments were present too. For sure „Depression Moments” and the closing „Unconscious of My Lost Identity” were the evidence that the band didn't want to be limited in any way...

...and after two years another title has been thrown into the underground depths. I wasn't surprised seeing „De Ocultis” tape in my letterbox as Mario promised me that. Originally it was released by Portuguese Luci Dist, yet something went wrong and the band decided to turn to Joel from American Line to run a small limited edition for American distribution. And such a version I own still working to this very day. The band prepared nine new songs clocking in 46 minutes with Mario lyrics based on psychology topics written entirely in Spanish. As for production, this time I got a bit softer sound of guitars and drums lacking its power sometimes, especially during faster fragments. Yet it is raw, rough and slicing. But it isn't the most important thing, as Sarcasmo executed their own visions a different way. For certain they became more matured musicians and „De Ocultis” is just a better stuff to listen to. It is complex, even progressive I'd say and technical at times. But first things first, „Afectos inplacenteros” opens abruptly without any mercy providing two kinds of vocals: typical gutturals (however „Inconformidad y duda” with deeper kind of it reminds me J. Karlsson from Gorement's debut) and more in the vein of Chuck Schuldiner and blackish shrieks, full of passion and emotions. Such combination is a definitely added value to the whole. The song is divided by quite surprising subtle rock-like part and then at 2:40 the guitarists perform absolutely amazing leading parts reminding me a second part of the title track from Xipe Totec „Prehispanic Beg”. Similar emotions, similar feelings, really awesome after so many years...

As compared to the mentioned demo, the band slowed down. Yep, there are faster parts in „El retorno”, „Viscisitud” or „Disolucion de ideas”, but the main musical key is to fill this offer with many great balanced ideas at the expense of furious speed. The riffs are rather catchy yet they do not let name the genre melodic, but leads are... Yes, there are fantastic leads! And there are plenty of them, for example the only instrumental called „La relacion inexistente” has got five such guitar explosions, what's more, the fourth in the running order is simply beautiful, I'd say even fabulous, full of immaculate pleasant warmth and giving a new hope for... something better? In turn, „Disolucion de ideas” comes with lead performance lasting over two minutes where tension is created with every single second, in „Fuga de dudas” leads got quite strange sound. For sure Sarcasmo liked to bring nasty surprises: just take a listen „Inconformidad y duda” with experimental guitar sounding and two kinds of clean vocals, the second part of „Escape a la verdad” when the music turns towards art rock dimension supported by jazzy licks or breathtaking parts that start at 1:40 in closing „Intentos”. It is hard here not to mention about rhythm section. The bass had its own place in previous demo and during „De Ocultis” there is a room for its thumping display as well. The drums are far from standard patterns, as they split the silence a perfect way (with the best example in „Intentos”, probably the most broken in the family). The progress between the demo and „De Ocultis” is noticeable but I repeat: they should be louder in the final mix.

To summarize the words I may write that this title, just like the previous one, stood the test of time. Absolutely no second included has been devaluated, moreover, „De Ocultis” belongs to one of my favourite releases ever heard, not only while speaking about Mexican scene. And I am not writing it to gain any empty plaudit. Also I am not writing it because of our longtime friendship. No. Mario perfectly knew my opinion on Sarcasmo work and considered me a true and sincere supporter of the band. The review is a kind of modest elaboration of my thoughts once sent to him resulting from one thing: only music counts. I realize that Sarcasmo is still unknown crew in the undergroud, especially now when there is no single day without a new band established, but I'm just a lucky man knowing it, probably by heart and by soul. It still exemplifies all I need from metal recording and it's pity I cannot say it to Mario personally. In 2001 I wanted to visit Mexico and all was planned in detail. Unfortunately it fell through for various reasons, but during those sixteen days I had on my must-see list few archeological sites (Chichen Itza, Uxmal, Mayapan, Coba, Bonampak, Tikal and Palenque) with one day reserved for Puebla time and meeting with Mario. Yes, we failed, but as we wrote in our correspondence: what goes up must come down. And now I think about it positively, however our meeting will be in completely different circumstances...

RIP my brother, I really do hope you'll find peace you deserve for...


97/100

- Tlacaxipehualiztli

(written in February, 2021)



2 comments:

  1. Thank you brother for this amazing review for remember Mario Medina (R.I.P). You are welcome to México always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excelent Review, as You wrote, Mario was an amazing composer and great guitarrist, Sarcasmo was a original band, and everytime i hear "de ocultis" is a new experience,thanks for The time to describe...

    ReplyDelete