Saturday, April 26, 2014

ARIA - Крещение огнём (2003)

The Fiery Baptism


It’s very strange situation with this band. I mean, I have been worshipper of heavy metal since 1991, but Aria machine landed before my eyes eleven years ago. It was a time of releasing their ninth album “Крещение огнём”. And what is interesting in my case, the first article (almost five A4 pages interview) about this Russian legend I found in German “Desecration of Virgin” zine #6 bought on the beginning of this century. Many days have passed, and finally I’ve got the album recorded by a friend, later an original copy with a really amazing front cover artwork.
  
Musically I got… the Iron Maiden’s best heritage. It isn’t a surprise as the musicians confirmed their fascinations of this British band and it can be easily felt in several moments (especially when it comes to the melodic parts and the way of bass playing as the strong leading instrument), however I would be a stupid liar calling Russians a poor imitation. No, of course not! And let me write one elementary truth: both crews deal with heavy metal music and this is enough. The production is simply good, each instrument is audible without any hindrance but the best sound realization of studio albums the Russians will serve during “Феникс” times. All right, let’s strike home, the first track just split my head and left it slaughtered! The furious pounding drums that appeared from out of nowhere, then the guitars and bass attack with shrill Berkut vocals harbinger the heavy metal devastation. “Патриот” really maltreated my senses, as the first perception I could compare with powerful “Thanx for Nothin’” executed by Overkill. The same feelings, the same ravager power. The fast tempo dominates through pretty melodic layers of riffs and even it is played rather simple way, there is no time for a breather, as the fantastic chorus takes place. In turn one minute long guitar lead demonstration that is divided into two parts, makes this splendid guitar eruption probably the best solo lead on the album.

Writing about the next three songs is like putting a brick into the wall. I mean, the bettermost heavy metal music is still on the stage, maybe not so fast as the opener, but I listen to it with bated breath through the second title song (preceded by a subtle intro and then with absolutely great chorus parts) and the third “Колизей” (with smashing slow-down in the middle). Yes, a really classic stuff for me. But, the best is yet to come, and its name is “Палач”. To put it briefly, here I got a culminating point of the album, the longest song, built by several fascinating parts. Written by Holstinin, this is one of the best tracks in whole Aria’s career. Opened by very calm tunes, it turns into epic and majestic piece of metal, what is interesting, it doesn’t contain any sophisticated and studied means, yet its simplicity really paralyze me every time I listen to it, especially when it comes to the emotional chorus parts with Berkut middle-scale singing. The song seethes with beautiful guitar leads, memorable melodies and hard riffs, also the string quartette is present here to support the classic instrumentarium and enrich the whole.

And when the last second of “Палач” passes by, something pops in the kingdom of Aria. I don’t want to write that the rest of the album is just a dunghill, because I’d be emotionally disturbed, but two songs “Твой новый мир” and “Белый флаг” lower effectively the final mark. Yes, that’s true, both are speedy outbursts, but the quality is rather mediocre. Fortunately, the remainder gives a pleasure to my metal heart, bringing such powerful tracks like “Там высоко” (a really good ballad!), “Битва” (the only track written by Popov, quite different thing amongst the rest with slow marching tempos) and the ending composition “Бал у князя тьмы” reminding a bit another ballad due to calmer tunes on the beginning, but after almost fifty seconds, it becomes a ‘proper’ thing: mid-paced bulldozer served by simple means again with astonishing Dubinin bass lines, however at about 2:50 it turns into more melodic part with hearable Iron Maiden’s influences. It is very good and well-thought-out ending song giving me really impressive moments on the end of this album.  

Of course, there is a need to mention about the vocalist, Berkut. While listening to this album, I only knew from the interview about their previous singer Kipelov. I read about his legendary status on the Russian heavy metal stage and through all these great years with Aria’s music, however I don’t think his departure before “Крещение огнём” session as something bad. Yes, it was a high light, something like Dickinson and his replacement in the person of Bayley, though Berkut hasn’t different vocals range, and it means that the band did a safe choice I guess. Safe, but really good, I have to admit. He perfectly fits to the musical content… And what is more, this is the first album with completely Russian lyrics. Me, as a Pole, it was a bit confusing on the start. The foreigners probably don’t understand this specific bond between our two nations, but believe me, many hours of Russians in the elementary and secondary school was a real pain in the ass for young Poles. And no, I don’t speak Russian, however reading the Cyrillic alphabet is not a problem for me. And I have to admit the Russian language is very melodious and I liked it a lot. Man, after all these years…

So, I’ll try to write something on the end. First of all, this is very good album, that’s for sure, but it was like a beginning of the heavy metal avalanche as I had to check their previous albums. When I did it, sadly for this album (and luckily for me!), I discovered more, even better, albums of these Russians heavy metal gods. Yes, most of them come from the 80s, but it is great that the band has enough power to unleash such great albums in the present century. Maybe “Химера” was a step back, but reviewed album and especially “Феникс” with another singer gave me some rays of hope in the numb world of contemporary heavy metal. For me, it was like a finding of fountain of youth. Its fresh waters gave me a new life in the fascinating world of heavy metal. The only my complaint touches the two tracks mentioned above, the rest is just superb. My firemetal baptism is done. But what about you? Will you dare to receive this baptism?  


93/100
-Tlacaxipehualiztli

(written on April, 2014)  
    


No comments:

Post a Comment