Sunday, April 27, 2014

ARIA - Армагеддон (2006)

Impossible to Be Armageddonized by Six Grey Stones


Aria needed three years to unleash another long play. With direct album’s title and ten new songs, the Russian squad once again tried to conquer my senses. And what? Ahem, after many countless careful listens, I have to write one elemental truth: this is one of the weakest Aria’s efforts so far. Of course, it beats the “Химера” album, their worst stuff, however if I’d like to compare “Армагеддон” to the previous killing album, it looks like an older brother, experienced, but a bit sick and with no life passion. It seems that the truth about “Армагеддон” is very brutal. But no, everything is caused by a splendid level of the predecessor. Fortunately this album has very good tracks, just take a listen to the opening monster called “Последний закат” – for all the world like, the twin brother of the “Патриот” song. Even production is very similar. But do not get me wrong, it’s not a cheap imitation, it’s a heavy metal shock! Musicians simply put their best track on the beginning: it is the fastest piece here preceded by Udalov pounding drums, with air ripping riffs and furious Berkut singing. Really impressive shot in my head on the start.  

The remainder isn’t such an impressive thing as the opener. I don’t deviate from the truth, the middle of the album is taken over by “Кровь королей” beyond all question. It is nine minutes beast, monumental and multi-layer composition with tempo changes from dark, full of secrecy opening and ending as well, to absolutely hard and smashing parts in middle with faster guitars decorated by very long guitar lead and Dubinin bass wizardry. These nine minutes run very quickly, and I admire this song absolutely speechless. For sure this is the same league as, for example, “Палач”, my beloved from the “Крещение огнём” album. Writing about the “Армагеддон” highlights, there is a need to mention about the third song called “Страж империи”, as it sparkles with Maidenish influences through its melody of the guitar portions. Fortunately the chorus is without any British touch and shows the power of the Russians, and yes, the whole track sounds really brilliant! To this holy trinity I can add maybe one more track called “Викинг” which is the heaviest thing here. Well, I am surprised a bit how they manage to create such a crushing guitar parts. It would be a great experience to hear it on the live shows.

All right, that’s the end. The end of writing about the songs making my heart works harder and faster. Luckily it doesn’t mean I stand before the crap truck. No, the rest is simply decent or good but nothing special. Mind you, I’m talking about the legendary band, and it seems the band got into the rut. These six remaining tracks with obligatory ballad are treated by me even as the fillers. Or maybe Aria just felt short of my big expectations? You know, some tracks are too long bringing boring whiles (especially “Меченый злом”, “Чужой”), some didn’t interest me (“Новый крестовый поход”,” Мессия”, “Чужой”) like aforementioned quartet. The ending track written exclusively by Berkut didn’t convince me as well. Also the masterly skills of musicians are not enough to get a splendid mark on the end. But for all that, I liked this album and I listen to this without any problem as it is certainly tolerable. The four pearls and the six grey stones. I think it is a good description of this album. What is interesting, the Russians needed five long years to prepare new songs entitled “Феникс”. And believe me, like a phoenix, they rose from the ”Армагеддон” ashes and entered the next chapter with Mikhail Zhitnyakov on the board. Definitely a better chapter for the band.         


70/100
- Tlacaxipehualiztli

(written on April, 2014) 

No comments:

Post a Comment