Sunday, July 31, 2016

CARNIVOROUS VORACITY - The Impious Doctrine (2015)


The Basque Doctrine: Voracity Is My Name


That’s pretty obvious some of my record purchases are the result of a coincidence. The case of Carnivorous Voracity isn’t an exception here and I found this name in label catalogue. Nothing extraordinary, don’t you think? So, fast listen on band’s bandcamp site and after “Secularize” track I knew “The Impious Doctrine” belonged to my must-have list. To write what is all about, stop at the genre. Brutal death metal. Ha, everything is clear in that matter. Everything? Just look on general number of such bands. As Encyclopaedia Metallum informs, there are over three thousand crews in whole world. Probably I don’t know even ten percentages of their names, but believe me, these mad Spaniards are of the better kind. Their debut stuff simply mangled me.

From production standpoint: with a help of Pedro J. Monje, the band did a perfect job for such a musical form. The album got organic natural sound and each element can be easily heard and deciphered. As for music itself, it is maintained in brutal (technical) death metal standards, however the most important is to have even slight piece of individuality as well as show any creativity dimension to overcome such dangerous dullness. Even if the album clocks in 36 minutes, musicians got along with aforementioned musical traps efficiently. What’s more, they did it in a really splendid and devastating way. Avoiding putting many useless movie samples, these 36 minutes of total senses annihilation are what I was looking for: it just takes my breath away. As the riffs are the foundation, the guitarists deliver killing rugged tremolo riffs and fascinating thing is they are served in a really catchy way in most cases. Despite of indescribable dynamic broken structures, some parts can be crooned either with the best examples in “Anatomic Human Degradation” or “Anthropophagus Infanticide”, which is my favourite one I guess. I have an impression that Xabat and Turbine just take the instrument and play it freely, simple as that, not proving how fucking great musicians they are, but using skills and effective technique in a proper way. So not only fast frantic paces, but slowdowns that nail me to the ground, it works smoothly making the running album time with no yawn signs. For sure song called “Grotesque Expiation of Dissolute Lambs” should be mentioned as it contains of rather rare for such a genre, but absolutely perfect parts of guitars starting off at circa 2:10.

The rhythm section is smashing. What is interesting, bass lines have been performed by producer himself, Pedro. And you know what? They sound brilliant! And Edgar performance is a rather low bow to the old classical drummers and I found in his playing many patents known from “Effigy of the Forgotten”. This ruthless duo supports the guitar machinery effectively just like midfielder’s line does with Aritz Aduriz on San Mamés. Well, I can’t skip the vocalist, Seyerot, who follows the standard way of singing. Of course he does, from ultra low guttural vomits to shrieks and squeals, the way it’d be executed. In few tracks he is supported by other guys, there are also clean vocal lines (or just taken from any movie, I’m not sure about it) in “Epiphanies of Perverse Egocentrism” and I treat it as a really good idea. Ah, one more thing concerning the longest “Transferable Malignity” which ends the album. Namely it seems it’s a kind of bonus track because of different sound realization (guitar layers put a bit in the background at the expense of rhythm section), yet I couldn’t find such an information anywhere. For sure this song is a bestial stuff and the only one with a guitar lead.

Brutal death metal. Yes, “The Impious Doctrine” is seriously brutal and Amputated Vein label sheet didn’t lie about it. But who cares about label descriptions, right? I didn’t expect inventing the wheel because it’s impossible. But these Spaniards offers talent and creativeness to bring with the debut just a great music worthy many extreme spins. On purpose I did not give you any other such rotten outfits, but the natural and best place for Carnivorous Voracity to exist is the US death big family and although Spaniards didn’t dethrone my old-time killers, yet they took my soul by storm and ate my senses voraciously with no mercy. Well, the band’s name obliges, doesn’t it?

90/100
-Tlacaxipehualiztli

(written in July, 2016)       

No comments:

Post a Comment