Sunday, July 3, 2016

GRAVEYARD - ...for Thine Is the Darkness (2016)



Sand Dementia


Truly awesome is how the Spaniards left the impenetrable depths of the sea and peregrinated to the grim desert. Thus the third Graveyard’s strike became a fact and so long-awaited album saw the shining light of the sun. And well, my great experience with this band has been lasting since the first spins of their debut from 2009, then they stroke my senses with even better “The Sea Grave” bringing a real water madness from R’lyeh itself. It didn’t lose its filthy, obscure yet breath-taking charm and these tunes visit me time and again. So, did I have any expectations concerning the next release? You know, the magic of the third album. No, I was just curious of the things to be, however I was sure that Graveyard wouldn’t follow wrong way. The first impression was favourable one, I mean really good front cover, but in the case of the band, it hasn’t been done at haphazard. And when first shamanic-like “Almulk Biallawn Al'Asfar” ends after ninety seconds, a real monument called “With Fear and Thirst” enters the stage and clenches me without any hesitation. And you know what? This song is great example I worship Graveyard for: crushing riffs, frantic speed-ups, slow-downs and captivating parts of catchy melodies, especially this one that ends it. What a start! With the shining light by my side, I head for Irem and its monumental buildings, and full of delight and bewilderedness I kneel down before the treasure of Rub' al Khali, before the mighty columns rising from the all-embracing sand kingdom. Yes, the song number six is something different in band’s career. In spite of some fast fragments, slow hypnotizing yet majestic pace is the key (to this forgotten city…), especially in the second part supported by keyboards and clean vocal lines…

Well, the most accurate will be every track is pretty much exactly what I would dream about and wish for. There’s nothing wrong with production side, again it has been mixed and engineered by Javi himself, maybe now it is a bit clearer as compared to the predecessor. Generally speaking, the newest offer is more atmospherical, by courageous using of keyboards, ominous and terrific effects, on the other hand, bouzuki intensifies oriental-like interesting impression and the whole has been divided into seven short introductions with mentioned intro and outro, definitely not being artificial time elongation of the album. Somewhere on band’s site there is a note that doesn’t leave any understatements: devoted to the ancient metal of death and I have no even a small single argument to disprove it. The third album is still deeply rooted in such a genre, not only suckling from the Swedish 80/90s scene. The perfect mix of well-known influences sewn by their own vision results a simple yet incredibly addictive music making no track passes without a proper deathly impact. The musicians juggle the tempos serving only one track with slow pace one-dimensionality. Just like on their previous full-lengths placed on the end, it became a tribute to doom metal, in the case of this song “Son of the Aeon / Sun of the Daemon” an Edling thankful composition. And believe me, this is amazing! Not only because of crushing guitar parts and demon-like vocals, but the second part that brings another even fairy musical level. Then it turns into ending short outro leaving me speechless amongst the sea of sinister sands…     

Yes, we had soil (first album), water (the second) and sand now, three elements of the Earth, yet it’s hard for me to indicate whether “…for Thine is the Darkness” is the best Graveyard work so far. Using maths and numbers, I rate it same as the “The Sea Grave”, not because there’s no any sign of progress, but both are just equally fantastic and splendid albums. The third seems to be braver a bit with its slower atmospherical fragments and multitude of vocal forms (mentioned earlier Irem’s praising song, “Hidden Amidst the Stars” or great performance of Fiar in “The Womb of the Desert”), not only throaty Julkarn’s devastation. I can do nothing but to praise this unmerciful riffs machine, classic or oriental leads or rhythm section which has very audible and important trace on the record. In short, these 43 minutes blows my mind out once again, proving exuberance of death metal form is still inexhaustible. That means they never cease to amaze me and I have another great songs to listen to for evermore. Another great songs as a guide to the middle of the desert, to its unexplored secrets, to her womb. It’s time to close my eyes and plunge into the sand dimension, again I stand before Irem majesty, completely vulnerable…

98/100
-Tlacaxipehualiztli

(written in June/July, 2016)

1 comment: