Saturday, April 29, 2017

HAEMORRHAGE / GRUESOME STUFF RELISH - Hospital Thieves / Horror Will Hold You Helpless (2011)


Spain Right Now: Hospital Abduction or Zombie Devouring


This split is a kind of alliance of autonomous community of Madrid (Coslada) and Asturian (Mieres) part of Spain. “Hospital Thieves / Horror Will Hold You Helpless” has fourteen minutes only, yet it’s enough to tear me into bloody pile of pieces. But let’s start off with Gruesome Stuff Relish as it is completely new band for me. And believe me, even if I was conjoining Asturia with coal mines, as of now I have to reconsider the facts and start to put zombies into Asturian scenery. Why? Because it is full of zombies and it emanates the stench of the living dead from the front cover to the lyrics and music itself. Well, the musical offer is simple, without any broken structures, pointing the main influences to their comrades from Haemorrhage (but with no these insane fast-paced parts) and some old acts like Autopsy or Necrony. Yep, paces are varied, just like the vocal lines, however blackish-like screams should be replaced by more growling style, especially in “They Follow Your Scent”, because it can’t convince me fully. The rest is beyond reproach, even keyboards in mentioned song and “Become a Zombie”. And even if I definitely prefer medical issues than horror themes, this band lands on my never-ending ‘must-have’ list. Damn, they have recorded three full-lengths so far…

And my Spanish gods… They didn’t surprised me and I’ve just got three absolutely perfect shots. The opening title track is perfectly known high-light from “Hospital Carnage”, so I focused my attention on two new clinical cases and… I’m speechless once again. How do they do it? Mad, deranged, tissues and cells grinder - to put it briefly, their essence. The covered song is also better as compared to split with Dead for example. They love punk bands and “Necrophilia” fits to the whole. “SelfMedication” has really… reality-based lyrics, yes, overdose of pharmacology, I know this and all the Polish patients quite well. What else I can add? For sure both productions has very good sound realization, it works here bringing annihilating force of sick music in two different dimensions. And wondering about the future, I do not know what to choose: to be kidnapped by gory bandits with surgical masks or be devoured by blood-thirsty zombies? It means it won’t be nice event, but there’s no other way I guess…   

75/100
-Tlacaxipehualiztli

(written in April, 2017)         

No comments:

Post a Comment