Monday, April 17, 2017

MORBID FLESH - Embedded in the Ossuary (2014)

A Night in the Ossuary


These 23 minutes are my first meeting with Spanish Morbid Flesh. And what? This country doesn’t stop to amaze me and still it spits many interesting and promising bands out. And I confirm, Morbid Flesh is definitely one of them.  Since a long time their music has been on my ‘must-have’ list, and I bought it couple of weeks finally. Musically the Spaniards do not discover any new territories… and I’m going to bethink myself how many times I wrote such words lately. Anyway, “Embedded in the Ossuary” is nothing but a variation on the sounds recorded many years ago. Sounds that I don’t have enough. Never. I mean, the late eighties, the first half of the nineties and such scenes like Swedish or English, however with Javi Félez as the producer and sound engineer, they didn’t follow the Swedish tone blindly and gained massive, powerful wall of sounds, a bit similar to Graveyard’s “The Sea Grave”. A coincidence?

The first song is a kind of introduction or, better to write, an invitation to the ossuary and if there aren’t usual Vali performance, some (sampled?) three different vocals line can be heard, however, my rousing applause goes to both guitarists creating absolutely splendid melodies and believe me, I am willing to put it into “Icon” or “The Angel and the Dark River” content. There are moments I listen to this first song many times in a row forgetting about the rest… Well, of course I exaggerate a bit, this album hasn’t been built on it only and with the beginning of “Charnel House”, the deathly breath of morbid flesh is present in the room. The English sorrowful parts are gone, yet some Icon recollections come to my mind while the longest guitar lead appears. But from then on, the Spaniards give a sincere smile to the Scandinavian area.

The music doesn’t shock with an uncontrollable portion of speed. Maybe “Rising of Shadows” has it served in faster way, yet preceded by very slow beginning. Anyway, the base here is to give different paces in the songs and it is done really skillfully with the best example in the closing one which is just a total crusher with paralyzing doom parts. Each track contains of catchy rhythms, riffs and such well-known slowdowns – I really love the way they use it and I cannot choose the leader. Mentioned “Rising of Shadows” and “Under Ragged Hoods” have really interesting leads after those slowdowns, and I haven’t to say how it works! And yes, there’s a need to make a mention on Vali’s vocals – good, audible, but not so deep and guttural. So, if all of the elements of the puzzle fit altogether, is there anything to complain about? No, there isn’t, I confirm. Three long years have passed since publishing the title by Unholy Prophecies, fortunately this April will be a hot month for the band, as their second full-length has been scheduled for releasing. Personally I can’t wait.    
   
  
85/100
-Tlacaxipehualiztli
(written in April, 2017)

No comments:

Post a Comment