Saturday, February 1, 2014

MORT DOUCE - Promo 2013 (2013)

Death Valley: The Worst Nightmare of Mp3 Believers


Robert ‘my day has more hours than yours’ Łęgowik didn’t surprise me. During one review in underground press (Total Death zine # 7) he assured about releasing some material of his band called Mort Douce in foreseeable future, everything musical is just the matter of time. Thus, verbum caro factum est, and finally the product stroke my post box. I received a tape in professional issue with pretty thrifty front cover yet very enjoyable for my tired eyes. Another thing worth of mentioning is limitation of this Promo 2013: only 50 (fifty!) hand numbered copies in whole universe…

Yep, I’m a lucky and privileged freak with the tape in this digital world. Only two tracks, almost seven minutes of music. Genre: death metal. No technical, no slam, no progressive, no gothic. Just death metal, and what is more, old-school death metal. One can say: another boring trip to the open-air museum. Do not believe him. I have to confirm Robert words from the review, their teachers were none others but Entombed, Unleashed, Asphyx, Benediction, necessarily with one adjective “old”. Mort Douce is very comprehensive and intelligent schoolboy. And I am really happy that the band creates such sounds – energetic, heavy, powerful metal of death. With the very first second I can hear these unique tunes in the vein of northern side of Europe. This characteristic work of guitars, these bizarre melody lines with obligatory slowing downs… The music which I have heard many, many times, but still making my heart pumping faster the blood. Only two tracks, but it is very hard to choose the better one. Of course, this is not a competition, maybe the first track is like a breakfast, and “Hemophobical Fear” (great tempo changes!) is a dinner, but this promo contains of everything I need to hear from ‘old-school’ band. Good production, bloodletting riffs, straight-forward drums, wild and demoniac vokills.

The style they are palying is probably the most exhausted (or better ‘used’) nowadays. But it’s great that there are still crews trying to resurrect the old spirit of death. For me these two tracks are perfect mix of Entombed and Unleashed debut albums. The cooks from Płock bespiced the dish with old Benediction flavoring and of course with their secret deadly weapon: dedication to the metal music. The important thing that the aforementioned bands changed their music. Mort Douce tries to enliven the old days. And in my opinion they did it: tape, music, limitation, all these things took me back into the ancient times. The time machine? Yes, exactly. And I hope they will manage to deliver another portion of music (as it is written in the booklet) very soon. I hope to see it on tape or vinyl of course… Limitation is welcomed.  

75/100
-Tlacaxipehualiztli

(previously written for Encyclopaedia Metallum, on February, 2013, now modified a bit)

No comments:

Post a Comment