Tuesday, February 4, 2014

LIFELESS - Godconstruct (2013)

Swedishconstruct


I paid my attention to this band last year while they were releasing „Chapel of a Lifeless Cult” together with another German death metal group Chapel of Disease.  To put it briefly, it was a kind of a wonderful time machine that took me straight into the beginning of the nineties. This year the German metallers decided to unleash their second album “Godconstruct” and after first listening to it, my basic conclusion concerned… geography. Yes, I’m damn right, because Lifeless moved their home from Dortmund to Sweden.  Quite an impossible drift? Not for them. The band serves hundred-percent Swedish death metal sucked from such parents like Dismember (mainly!), Entombed and Carnage. The lactation was really effective, because both the producer and the band managed to restore a characteristic sound. The sound I loved at first seconds…

 Of course it is known that good sound is nothing when music sucks, but fortunately Germans created a really ass-kicking slab of death metal. The album couldn’t have better opening sounds, because during “Praeludium: Endzeit” I can hear some very interesting, clean vocal parts (Latin church chants?) supported by thrilling keyboards, then it passes on into the title track decorated by absolutely astonishing guitar patent with church bells. Man, I felt almost the same magic as many, many years ago while listening to such memorable killer songs like “Dismembered” or “Dreaming in Red”, to name a few. First minute goes by, and fast structure takes over the control with blast beasts doing a real sonic massacre and making this song absolutely classic piece of Swedish metal in my vast collection. The next thing worth mentioning is a slow down tempo starting after about the fourth minute: let me be damned if I cannot hear Dismember here! This is a real reincarnation of the gods! For sure this song is a fundamental unit in Lifeless music, but after many listenings to “Godconstruct” as a whole, I can frankly declare that other songs aren’t maintained on such a splendid level.

Yes, no splendid level definitely, but good performance is obvious and Swedish metal way in every aspect of music. Just take a song called “Sworn to Death” which is a kind of a tribute to the Swedish scene. Fast insight into the lyrics and the secret is revealed. Or “Moribund” with well known bizarre melodic tunes and a guitar lead in the vein of Desultory which possessed my senses at once. Another positive aspect coming from “Godconstruct” is the lack of boredom. Germans smartly change song tempos, from slow, almost doomish structures (e.g. the beginning of title track and “The Truth Concealed”) to fast cannonades appearing on the whole album, sometimes supported by merciless blast eruption (“Godconstruct”, “Moribund”, “Reconquering the Soul”). Only aforementioned “Sworn to Death” has rather not so fast construct(ion), vocally this track is also quite different from the rest, due to the presence of two guest persons: Sven Gross (Fleshcrawl) and Mark Friedrichs (Selfdevoured). With Marc vo-kills they really did a good job. Counting all good points coming from the album, I have to mention about the last track called “Perdition of the Whore” which is an extremely brutal piece of death metal containing everything I wrote about the Lifeless music earlier. Fast, sense-crippling, sincere. And this perfect (!) ending of the song with some piano sound… Germans really stapled the entirety successfully. I am impressed. 

Thinking about the overall mark, I have to point to one more thing. Just take a look on the front cover with two priests giving you the invitation for the solemn mass of death, for sure it is in close union with the opening prelude I’ve already written about some words earlier. Returning to the musical content, sure that I need to deal with the next crew executing well known sounds, recorded twenty years earlier. One can say that Lifeless is another boring outfit using the same music and emotions to cheat the listener, another band that flows with present-day trends. The latter will shout without any hesitation: I simply love this way of (old) death metal! As you probably can guess, I’m this latter freak of nature and I worship this kind of music. Listening to “Godconstruct” is like a revival of my old memories concerning such albums as “Hand Left Path”, “Like an Ever Flowing Stream” or “Indecent & Obscene”. So, can I write: Dismember is dead, long live the Lifeless metal? Why not? Even my beloved Desultory seems to be buried now. I know that each day is attacked by new albums with a Swedish stamp, many young bands honestly praise old gods and in my opinion it is good for the scene. For sure “Godconstruct” is the better kind of it, and I hope it will be some kind of tidbit for old maniacs. Simply it is a very good slab of unmerciful tunes. Anyway, what kind of music can be played by the crew with such a band’s name?

So… are you sworn to (metal of) death? 

88/100
-Tlacaxipehualiztli

(previously written for Encyclopaedia Metallum, on June, 2013)


No comments:

Post a Comment