Thursday, February 6, 2014

ASEDIO - Aversión (2012)

One Fury and Three Apathetical Sighs
 
 
Yes, I confess, I’m an Asedio addict. And here I have another chance to listen to their killing sounds, unfortunately it lasts fifteen minutes only. And what is more, among four songs, only one of them called “Días de furia” is a new one. The rest is just a collection of covers. In my opinion “Aversión” is a rather some kind of curiosity for the fans, and it can be considered as presentation of a new singer Daniel Maldonado who replaced Jorge Baez. Unfortunately the next line-up changing took place and Daniel left the band as well. Musically the opening track “Días de furia” is like a forgotten hoard from their second fantastic album “El orígen de todos los males”. For sure the production is weaker a bit, but the music is still in the same vein: straight forward guitar riffs maintained in thrash stylistics with a pinch of death madness (especially vocals and Samuel’s drum works). It brings really interesting, memorable guitar layers and solo lead: yes, all these elements I know by heart, thus there is no surprise. This explosive musical wall is supported by brave rhythm section and Daniel two ways of singing, and he can be compared to his predecessor and “Somos Nada” era mainly. To cut it short, this stuff has a great start, I got really cool song, simply another killer from this band…

…and that’s all. Even if there are three cover songs on the way, I lost my enthusiasm. I think Mexicans chose wrong bands. Simply! My complaint doesn’t refer to the Asedio musical performance, it’s beyond reproach, but unlike Mexicans, all the bands belong to the melo-death genre, and Asedio put too many soft melodic elements perforce, especially songs “Not Even Dead” of Dimension Zero and “Aurora” of Dark Lunacy soften the whole too much and bring negative emotions to my mind. The last of covers “Slaughter of the Soul”, taken from the At the Gates album, isn’t impressive too. In addition I consider this album as the weakest effort in career of Swedes, so it is the next evidence of Asedio’s wrong choice. Maybe it is a good idea to present such tracks during live performances, but here, next to “Días de furia”, this attempt failed. Also Daniel vocals don’t convince me, yet he sings in the vein of Thomas Lindberg vein all the time. Did he forget about the first track? Probably yes.

My main thesis about wrong choice gets out of not only of my individual musical preferences, but also the Asedio style is different. Of course, covers are some kind of diversity in band’s discography and musicians can do everything with this, but guys, all your own tracks are simply far better than mentioned cover songs! Do you need an example? Just take a listen to “Batalla contra la esperanza” from the first album, maybe it shows some similarities in melodic parts to the fourth famous At the Gates album, but it is executed in more brutal and mad way! So, songs from such bands as Sadus, Slayer and Dark Angel would be definitely a good view of your musical style and fascination as far as I am concerned. You can create really fine melodic parts and all this work refer to your music without hindrance and doesn’t make the music joyful, weak and soft. I treat “Días de furia” as another absolutely necessary brick in Asedio’s musical wall that falls down on me without any mercy, making my senses rapt and entranced. And this is the only direction for the band. I know that the band plans to release third album this year, thereby, my expectations are enormous, as their previous album was almost perfect. But is it possible to record an album which will be better than “El orígen de todos los males”? I’m deeply convinced that these Ecatepec metalheads will not disappoint me.       

60/100
-Tlacaxipehualiztli

(written on December, 2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment