Saturday, January 25, 2014

DESULTORY - Counting Our Scars (2010)

The Glorious Renascence
 
 
When I found out that Desultory rose from the dead, I had a grave apprehension. On one hand I was as happy as the day is long that the comeback of my best death metal band became a fact, on the other hand I had some bad feelings the Swedes are able to play death metal once again in their career, or, worse still, if they wanted to follow “Swallow the Snake” ways…  I was waiting very patiently, thinking all the day about upcoming release. The album and song titles, cover-art were known, however the music was the only secret I wanted to discover immediately from the cd exclusively, not from the internet sites. The main question was: did the Swedes reach their mastership in creating such great death metal tunes like they used to do in the past?

My first feelings refer to the front-cover. I thought: yep man, first strong point for the start, the old logo returned! With no shitty “parental advisory explicit lyrics”! Also arrangement of nine songs returned, the first one “In a Cage” is the longest track just like on the first album. Yes, these things came back, but many have changed as well. Travis Smith is the man responsible for cover-art and layout, but the one of the most important thing is the new studio: Necromorbus, completely unknown for me, and Tore Stjerna as producer (plus mixing and mastering). The second one is a permanent lack of Stefan Pöge. The guitarist who left the band after “Bitterness” times, the musician who still exists in my mind as his play will never be forgotten. This time Håkan keeps the lead guitar just like on the previous unfamous album, but bass guitar is dominium of a new member Johan Bohlin. So… what can I say about the music itself???

I had to wait on proper moment to listen to this album, you know, after many, many years (14!!!), I wanted to feel like a young metal banger. New album, new expectations, new feelings, new hopes… And I have to admit that after first tunes I knew one thing. JUST ONE THING. My Desultory was back! Tragic days of “Swallow the Snake” are gone irrevocably, a new era of two old albums comes into existence with this offering like a medicine for the cancer. The first song called “In a Cage” confirms that all the tunes I can call death metal exclusively, Swedish death metal, this characteristic sounding is everywhere, maybe modified a bit. After almost six minutes I knew that everything was just perfect. The production of “Counting Our Scars” is excellent, each element is audible very good especially drums ravaging all the time! I am under the impression the band is totally submerged in the depths of the underground, there is no sterility (drums man, DRUMS!!!), or artificiality which flood metal releases nowadays. I wrote earlier about lead guitar and I think Håkan performance is in the vein of the old days, of Stefan, which make me really happy. The bass lines are very similar to “Swallow…”, of course it is not a drawback. And the last element, yes, these murderous vocals performed by Klas as always… Now he mixes both styles from the two first albums and the ultimate result is just superb! Klas has an unbelievable and unique sounding kind of growl.

As mentioned above “In a Cage” is a perfect opening track for the album which is the longest one and my first favourite song on this album. The characteristic melody on the beginning turns into death metal hurricane with flesh ripping Klas vo-kills. The melody which is the basis in chorus is some kind of development of the beginning, but I can assure once again: the old times return with these tunes definitely. Solo lead by Håkan is the next evidence, as the spirit of Pöge lives here. I wrote about the glorious past, but one thing is unquestionable: the musical progress which is perceptible. There is no stagnation in composing and performing, the band really breathes freely seeming to be a killing war machine with unmerciful cannons. The last part of the previous sentence refers to the impressive Thomas drums. This man is a real killer behind his kit! “In a Cage” is closed by the next beautiful Håkan solo full of sadness and nostalgia. The second song is the title track and it is slower a bit (but with some blasts). But here Desultory tries to complicate the musical structures, melodic lines are similar to the predecessor with short guitar lead. But the best is present on the end – totally crushing ending with merciless Thomas blasts and Klas screaming “…scars, scars…”. The third piece of metal called “Ready to Bleed” is again more complicated (can I use the term: tech-death???), these twisted rhythms appear after proper riffs, even with blasting and slowing down. When my cells are bleeding, the next song starts to grind my body with outstanding melodies and fast tempo, how can you do this, men? After almost five minutes we reach “The Moment Is Gone”, probably the best on the album with fine opening sounds and mid-tempo. But the chorus is incredible (how many times I will write such words?). This song also has some rhythm changes about 2:40 and totally amazing guitar lead in old style. This song reminds me “A Closing Eye” from “Bitterness” because of melody and structure of the chorus. Everything is extended by some ominous sounds (outro?) which turns unexpectedly into “Uneven Numbers”. It is like a step on antitank mine. This killer is composed by Thomas himself and it is the fastest song on the album. With Thomas as commander, aggression and fury dominate through this track destroying all in sight. The second song by Thomas “Leeching Life” is slower but more complex and multiple, about 1:30 a great guitar motive approaches with calm guitar lead in further part of the song. Both these metal attacks are divided by “Dead Ends” by Johan, the bass guitarist. And what can I say about it? This is the weakest element of puzzle, but do not get me wrong, it is not a shitty stuff, nu-metal or something like this. This is only a good song with very average riffs (I write about masterly level of Desultory), I even think this kind of guitar riffs doesn’t fit to this band. Fortunately I can find here very interesting melodic tunes… The last song “A Crippling Heritage” is a perfect track on the end. Fury, idea, passion, death metal. The essence of Desultory style. Finis coronat opus.

The music is one thing, but the lyrics are also important in the case of Desultory. And the text content doesn’t surprise me, the Swedes do not discover a new land here. They penetrate the dark paths of human mind and behavior, full of solitude, unreasonable hopes, utter despair, bitterness and lack of better tomorrow. Very interesting front cover fits perfectly to the lyrics.

It is always very hard to write about favourite and most important albums or bands without becoming trivial and banal. Two first albums “Into Eternity” and “Bitterness” have a special place in my life, being not only part of metal world, so you can understand my opinions about “Swallow the Snake”. There is an unwritten law that the third album is a kind of test, determinant for the band. Desultory has failed this effort and broke up with moniker of “Desultory” for many years (then the band turned into Zebulon, the style was continuation of “Swallow the Snake”). After first attentive listening I knew they were back, that the masters returned in glory with absolutely great death metal album. The album I have no fear to put beside two mentioned classic masterpieces. They proved that Daniel Ekeroth (the author of “Swedish Death Metal” book) had no right writing such words about the band. They returned because they had something to do on metal scene. They returned because there are many death metal maniacs (like me of course!) waiting for more excellent music. They returned because they know how to create riffs and remarkable melody with a balance of great technique, passion, intensity and spirit of true death metal.  Here I can repeat the words I wrote about the band in “Bitterness” review: “nothing is changed today, nothing will change in future”, it refers to the all things I mentioned just above. After these words and feelings I have to admit I was meditating about overall mark very persistently. My opinion is almost perfect. One point less is for “Dead Ends”, see my explanation just above. And I hope I will not wait for the fifth Desultory release next 15 years, it must be much sooner definitely. Well, to sum all things up: I’m proud I death metal maniac, I’m proud to be a worshiper of Desultory during all these years…

And now I’m pushing the button play again… to be in a cage of Desultory world one more time! 

99/100
-Tlacaxipehualiztli

(previously written for Encyclopaedia Metallum, on March, 2011, now modified a bit)

No comments:

Post a Comment