Thursday, January 30, 2014

THERGOTHON - Fhtagn-nagh Yog-Sothoth (1991)

The Yog-Sothoth Entity


Do you have enemies? Musical enemies? Or anyone you really don’t like? If yes, play them this stuff. These four songs are exquisite weapon against the crowd. The other matter is that this tape (can you believe it, I have still this tape and it looks quite good in spite over twenty years!) is very hard to digest even for typical metal fan and I can imagine his astonishment and question: “is it metal?”. All right, to all concerned I asseverate that Thergothon is a real metal band. What is more, Finns are considered as one of the first bands playing very specific modification of doom, namely funeral doom. I bought it in 1992 and I remember my shock after first seconds of “Elemental” song. Thergothon was bathing in very, very slow tempos, and I was sure that even Candlemass was playing speed metal when compared to “Fhtagn-nagh Yog-Sothoth”.

When “Elemental” opens the gate to these sick, deranged and crude invocations, the putrid smell of deep metal underground is perceptible. The music itself seems to be archaic and behind the times (or aeons to be more precise), for sure such kind of production is a rare phenomenon nowadays, but I still love it. Lyrics refer strictly to Lovecraft mythology (see title), and I can write that reading some works of this author during listening to this demo is a really unique feeling… This stuff consists of four tracks, three of them are longer (about seven excruciating minutes), but last one “The Twilight Fade” is hardly two minute monster unfortunately. All of them are very slow, just like it was mentioned above, and only in “Elemental” there are some speedups, but do not get me wrong, ‘speed’ is improper word here, simply the drummer hits his instrument two times per minute he, he... “Elemental” has also clean yet very enjoyable vocals, but something has to be said about lead vocals. I find some similarities to Demilich vocals (“Nespithe” era and earlier times), but Thergothon has also its own death charm: totally gloomy and sepulchral exhalements straight out from R’lyeh catacombs, completely not to be accepted by ‘typical’ metal fans. Fortunately I’m not ‘typical’, and worship this stuff a lot, but this is rather sick feeling, don’t you think?

Riffs… yes, I wonder what word can precisely describe the sounds that flow in the air. Monumental? Megalithic? Overwhelming? Man, hard to choose. In extraordinary way Finns can create fuggy, ominous atmosphere only by guitars, and this is what I like most, no keyboard passages or other crazy samples, nevertheless there are many bizarre quasi-melodious guitar works. The sinister moments haunt the senses during “Evoken” too, when only vocals and drums are on the stage, really memorable musical shades. In this song there are some keyboard lines, well-marked yet rather symbolic. In turn the third opus “Yet the Watchers Guard” is the slowest one in my opinion, and the last track is too short (but this is an allowable defect) and unintentionally I rewind my tape to the start. “Elemental” opens its vault once again…

This tape has a special place in my metal collection, to date I remember my feelings during the first listening to “Fhtagn-nagh Yog-Sothoth”. So if you want to find something original remembering about old days, if you like so-called ‘climatic’ metal but with no stupid keyboard or female lamentations, check this record immediately out, it won’t kill you to musical death by slow tempo and surely, just like me, you will forget about this world. Conjointly with Lovecraft’s prose it builds another unknown dimension, much beyond our senses and mind, beyond time and life. It’s up to you if you will dare to cross the threshold…

I dared…

93/100
-Tlacaxipehualiztli

(previously written for Encyclopaedia Metallum, on July, 2012, now modified a bit)

No comments:

Post a Comment