Saturday, January 18, 2014

DESULTORY - Swallow the Snake (1996)


                                                                       When Life Shatters...



First of all I have to write I am die-hard disciple of Desultory creativeness. But let me ask you one question. Have you ever swallowed a bitterness? The most bitter bitterness in a whole universe? Unfortunately one day I swallowed something bitter, but it wasn’t a medicine or denatonium benzoate. The story begins in 1996 when I bought the newest Desultory album “Swallow the Snake” on a tape (!). Maximum excitement, anyway no wonder, if I divinize both first Desultory albums as the most important masterpieces in my death metal world.

Yes, my excitement turned into extreme astonishment. Firstly: where is the old band logo which I precisely drew many times during some lessons in my secondary school? The next thing: the words on the frontcover: “parental advisory explicit lyrics”. What is this? Then I didn’t know that it was only a quiet beginning to the fatal disaster…

Some information about Stefan Pöge had left the band came to my mind after releasing “Bitterness” album. Till today I know no reasons why. But this was a kind of storm warning. Desultory recorded their third album as a three-man band, Håkan took lead guitar also. I don’t know if it an important thing that Klas and Thomas were bald. I wrote something about astonishment, but tunes I heard really froze my blood. I asked myself: what the fuck is it? Fast glance on the cover, no, I can see “Desultory”name absolutely clearly. But to be honest, everything is different. Different logo, line-up, songs, sounding and production. Also there is additional sound producer Fred Estby from Dismember. And I have a question: did Desultory really need this guy? No, I don’t think so. Look at the previous two albums. And forget it.

Let’s start to describe from the beginning. Here you can admire pseudorock/hardcore sounding, or something that does not fit in with metal music. The band lost his energy, I really don’t like solo leads due to this strange production. Everything is very distorted, this is not the band I know! Vocals: comparing to the two first albums… No, there is nothing on this cd I could compare to. Vocals totally suck: Klas sings like he is in another room or he is on the phone! Excellent screams and growls fell into oblivion. The compositions are not better. Besides musical calamities like “Nothing Dies”, “In My Veins” and “The Bitter Man” there are very mediocre three songs only. Namely opening “Mushroom Smile” with energetic riffs and tempo but everything is destroyed by vocals (some digital transducer on vocals or what???) and of course by terrible sounding. Unfortunately this note concerns to the rest on “Swallow the Snake”. The two last ones “Before Today, Beyond Tomorrow” and “Silent Suffering” have some melodic leading riffs, but I won’t dare to confront for example with “A Closing Eye” from the second album. The fundamental question “is it still Desultory?” gathers in my troubled mind. But the answer suddenly appears: no, it is not. NOT!!!! It’s not a brain teaser to draw a conclusion that loss of Stefan was an inexpiable mistake. Desultory is not a death metal band, they doesn’t play fast, for me it’s kind of funny pseudo hardrock/core with not so heavy guitars. In the last song on the album “Silent Suffering”, Klas screams: “can you feel the pain, can you feel the silent suffering”. Yes, I can feel it during listening to “Swallow the Snake”.

The mark is obvious. The band should change the name. Maybe then the mark could be higher? Yeah, could be… I know that my opinion is very ruthless, but Desultory is one of the first death metal bands in my life. Very interesting fact is that Swedes had split up after releasing this album and change their name to Zebulon (sadly too late!!!). They reunited in 2009, the title of the fourth album is known, but Stefan Pöge is still missing. What kind of music Desultory will create? Time will show… I hope it won't be something like swallowing the snake. 

1/100
-Tlacaxipehualiztli

(previously written for Encyclopaedia Metallum, on September, 2010, now modified a bit)

No comments:

Post a Comment