Sunday, January 26, 2014

SENTENCED - Down (1996)

The Suicidal Pleasures


„Down” – the fourth album of Sentenced. The decisive offering not only because of Taneli Jarva left the band. The musical style also changed to the end of time. All death metal influences are gone irrevocably. What is more, a new vocalist Ville Laihiala stood on the stage. Changes, changes, changes… However, the only question is: did all these changes mean a good metal music?

But I want to ask another question: is this new way correct for Sentenced? It’s hard to believe that composers of “Down” have such a release as “Shadows of the Past” and even “North from Here” in discography. Here one thing I have to declare: Finns didn’t record a weak album before “Down” session. They didn’t record even average stuff. All their metal performances are classic Scandinavian death metal exclusively, however the third release “Amok” has some new ideas too. The newest release is the beginning of a new road, where Sentenced found identity which I call ‘atmospheric heavy metal’ just for myself. I wrote about new vocalist. Taneli was charismatic personality yet excellent voice of Sentenced music, but Ville fortunately dispelled fears during the first words of “Noose”. Laihiala’s manner of singing is specific and quite original, although it is a mix of Holmes, Hetfield and own talent mostly (and Finnish vodka I guess). No doubt that the presence of this person in the band is like a breath of fresh air in this case.  

A mysterious intro “The Gate” opens the album and it is not anything new, ninety seconds of guitar passages, but at the first listen I can hear another production. Yes, this is next change: Sentenced moved from Tico-Tico studio to Woodhouse. The guitars are clearer, richer, however I wonder if this kind of realization is better than “Amok” sound? All right, both are good, but I think I prefer more underground face of the band. Back to the music, when intro ends, the first proper song “Noose” appears – and on the beginning guitarists show excellent riffs and following arrangement: the stanza with rather mid tempo, the chorus with mournful melodic tunes and great but short (in my opinion too short!) solo lead by Tenkula, who plays all the bass lines on the album as well. This description of songwriting refers to the many tracks, and “Noose” isn’t exception here. The second song “Shadegrown” has a slow opening with some acoustic moments, Laihiala singing and crushing guitar lead. Sounds pretty gorgeous. The only disadvantage is totally useless keyboards parts in chorus. These two songs run fast, nonetheless the song called “Bleed” is the main highlight of the album. And I have been always wondering why Finns didn’t name this album by word ‘bleed’ which precisely describes the matter of lyrics… All right, let’s back to the music: “Bleed” is fast, energetic, zesty song with excellent heavy metal chorus. I have to point out on precise communication with music and Laihiala words. The new vocalist (supported here by harsh Vorph vocals) shows his talent here. Brilliant Tenkula lead once again decorates whole effort, though it lasts only 13 seconds. Then cannonade of rhythm section with raging Ranta behind his drum set, again short guitar solo and this perfect chorus attack my senses. And on the end the words of Laihiala “…to death!”. For sure this is one of the best songs ever written by this band.

I divided this album into three parts for my needs exclusively and after 3:40 of “Bleed” the first part ends. And I have to admit that “Down” showed the best face. Now all things are going to be far worse unfortunately. The second part starts with “Keep My Grave Open” which is mid tempo track, again Vorph supports (and here I ask: why?) and completely needless keyboards. I think it is rather mediocre stuff, but the worst is yet to come. Its name: “Crumbling Down (Give Up Hope)”. Fine beginning of the song doesn’t foreshadow an upcoming disaster: dark, mysterious first sounds with powerful guitar riffs enriched by oriental-like solo. And when the song gets 1:36 it appears: vocals of Birgit Zacher. Here she sings only with no words and repeated it three times. It is awful, horrid and completely does not refer to the album content. With the last seconds good solo lead appears but it is covered by female ‘vocals’. Damn it, good song is ruined, just like me…  Yes, I still spend time in the second part and the next track “Sun Won’t Shine” exposes its goods. Unfortunately I find here only very good Tenkula performance. After average four minutes I drown into “Ode to the End”. And to be honest with myself I declare: this is the weakest effort on this album. Musically (guitar and bass parts) it is not bad, but with Laihiala words “…I was dying to be dead…” she enters once again singing four verses… A shameful defeat indeed… This is like a fatal error, in addition I can hear again useless keyboards… And I ask: why??? Comparing to the song title, it is a real ode to the end. With no good mark on the end. Fortunately man invented rewind function…

The next one is an instrumental “0132” which is the opening of the third and the last part of “Down”. And as a matter of fact, this is a show of Tenkula uncommon skills. Then, only two tracks but they are much better than the predecessors. And with no female vocals fortunately! “Warrior of Life (Reaper Redeemer) has excellent guitar lead, pulsating bass and broken drums rhythms (esp. in chorus) as well. Yes, I can breathe again, Sentenced returned! The last “I’ll Throw the First Rock” is a superb thing on the end of the album, it reminds me of “Bleed” a bit because of speed, energy and guitars work. And this crazy solo… This is definitely flawless effort with very interesting finish line.

To sum all the things up: I really liked a new face of Sentenced (style/vocalist) and I think this change was a natural process, but my overall mark could be higher. The female vocals and some keys parts are gross and fatal mistake which destroyed “Down” atmosphere. It will be repeated on the next studio album with the same result. The content of “Down” will be remembered without fail. Songs like “Noose”, “Bleed” or “I’ll Throw the First Rock” are real monoliths in Sentenced discography. Listening to these pearls I forget about the second part immediately and dive into Sentenced world. Unfortunately one of them, Miika Tenkula left the metal stage, but His tunes are immortal. 

80/100
-Tlacaxipehualiztli

(previously written for Encyclopaedia Metallum, on August, 2011, now modified a bit)

No comments:

Post a Comment