Thursday, January 16, 2014

XIPE TOTEC - Prehispanic Beg (1998)

                                                            In the Arms of Xipe Totec



Tape trading is a really great thing. From many excellent unknown releases for me that I got in such a way, this tape is definitely the best one. My first meeting with music of Xipe Totec was listening to the first seven tracks coming from this demo (thanks Mario!), then a complete original tape (thanks Joel!). It was 1998 or 99 year, I don’t remember exactly, and luckily, during all these years, during these thousands listens, the tape is still alive!

It’s hard to believe that Xipe Totec with this material is completely forgotten in the abyss of underground. Ignorance? Revenge of the god(s)? Lack of luck? Who the hell knows? But now, prepare for the sentence that sounds like a blasphemy in so-called metal world. This tape is one of the best death metal release! Xipe Totec manner of playing metal of death is rather simple and immediate. Everything is opened by an intro coming directly from the heritage of Indian folk music. After one minute devastation begins. Low guttural vocals mixed with screams, perfect vivid guitars, bass passages (for me even unceasing bass solos!) and merciless, furious drums. The distinct words of acknowledgement go to both guitarists. They can create really interesting and memorable groups of riffs, unforgettable solos, which make “Prehispanic Beg” something exceptional in a big bag of metal music. The musicians prefer to play fast and short mind-ripping songs (eight of ten), but you can also listen to more complex structures in title song and the longest track called “Tonacayutl Tomio”. The drums production definitely could be better, as it sounds like a cartoon beating. But, it is an underground stuff and such a drum tone doesn’t disturb me, simply I am accustomed to it.

Musically I would like to point at three shining pearls. The first one is a song called “Tzompantli” which has a very melodic, but still merciless death metal riff. The great song for live shows I think. The next one is the title track which is my favourite one here. It starts with not so fast guitars and simple drum beats, then it changes after 35 seconds in basic theme – another portions of stunning riffs. The next thing that cannot be missed here is a show of guitarists and their solo leads. The first one, rather short, is like an announcement for the second one. And yes, what can I write about it if this is one hundred and five seconds of amazing and outstanding music. It makes this guitar show one of the best solo I have ever heard in my life! In turn, the third mentioned pearl, is the longest track called “Tonacayutl Tomio”. This monumental song is opened by calm guitars, bass and drums. Next, you can hear the essence of Xipe Totec music: excellent melodious guitar and bass works, low vocals and ferocious screams supported by varied yet devastating drums.

Lyrics are written in English and strictly connected with... Yes, you won’t find here a word “Aztec” (widespread by Jesuit scholar Francisco Javier Clavijero in XVIII century). Lyrics tell us about glory of Tenochtitlan and Mexica people, about Spanish conquest and so on.
So, if you want to listen to death metal, follow the Xipe Totec music. You won’t be disappointed! I hope that this material will be released on cd format at least (but I dream of vinyl…). I don’t know the potential of my tape, but for sure it is not immortal contrary to the “Prehispanic Beg” tunes.  I hope it will survive next days in my hands…

99/100

-Tlacaxipehualiztli
(previously written for Encyclopaedia Metallum, on February, 2010, now modified a bit)


No comments:

Post a Comment