Friday, January 31, 2014

INTESTINE BAALISM - An Anatomy of the Beast (1997)

A Lesson in Beast Anatomy


My adventure with Japanese metal started really spectacularly. Somewhere in 1997 my letter box was haunted by the first album of Intestine Baalism, the beast coming straight from Tokyo. I remember that I saw and read several enthusiastic reviews in the underground press and now I can assure you about true words of editors. Through all these years “An Anatomy of the Beast” is still excellent album when we talk in death metal categories. And to be honest with my metal myself, I neglected this record a bit in the past. I mean, now I praise it much more than in the days of forgetfulness. The next important thing, I have to buy their next two albums, but I think it won’t be an easy task.

Ok, let’s move back into the year of 1997 when the first album of these Japanese metallers came in. For sure it was (and still is!) something fresh, they skillfully mixed the best elements from two schools of death metal (American and European) and added their own unique touch. Forget about dull grinding US-death outfits, forget about sweet Gothenburg melodies, these tunes are combination of pure death genre with such names as Cannibal Corpse, Immolation and the best representants of Swedish bestiality (Dismember, Desultory, Hypocrisy). The production is impeccable, great, raw and vivid sound effectively slaughters my ears, in addition I like very much the way of lead guitar realization, this is rather rare in metal world yet interesting beyond doubt, man! Some proofs? Just take a listen to the first song called “Corporal Celebration” which is in fact a correct synopsis of entirety: many tempo changes from blasts to heavy slowdowns, devastating guitar works and two kinds of vo-kills. Here I must stop at the person of Seiji Kakuzaki, the mastermind of the band, his growls are in the vein of old Finnish crews like Demigod and Demilich, and I think he did really good job. Besides screams are also present, but they are served rather seldom. The next factor worth mentioning is… melody, especially in guitar leads and some riffs. Yes, melody, but let me be damned if I would call this slab melodic death metal. In first track, after four minutes, there is a solo lead, but it brings a reverie, strange feeling indeed, it appeared totally unexpectedly in the song. Then the music runs into quite depressive guitar work. The album shows its content in excellent way, it is really good start to listen to entirety.

The next song I’d like to write about is “Cannibal Sodom”, the fourth one, which I think is the best and most recognizable here. At the beginning, the storm of mindblowing catchy riffs attack the listener, and after 53 seconds the guitar lead brings us astonishing tunes and turns into death metal inferno. Such great shows are served here three times, and my memories fly towards the land of Sweden, where bands like Desultory and Dismember ruled. Absolutely killing and memorable track. And when I write about Sweden, there is a need to mention about the last song “Tyrant”, for me Swedish death metal made in Japan. But do not expect any imitation or poor copy. Just listen to these killing riffs after 44 seconds, and tell me, how I can’t praise this band hearing such excellent riffs? Paralyzing slowdowns by rotation with fast, furious energy. Simply the essence of the genre…

So, without any hesitation, this album is absolutely must-have in every death metal collection. In short description just above, I introduced only three tracks, but believe me, the remainder isn’t worse. Only two of them have no solo lead: the title song and “Burn Thou in Effigy”,  an one minute acoustic miniature. My first feelings during listening to the album weren’t surprise. And now I still feel the same: “An Anatomy of the Beast” is a truly devastating piece of death metal with all the elements needed in this genre. Energy, brutality, twisting melody, freshness. No boredom found. So even today, after 15 years of existence in my metal collection, I highly enjoy what they composed. Superb! 

93/100
-Tlacaxipehualiztli

(previously written for Encyclopaedia Metallum, on September, 2012, now modified a bit)

No comments:

Post a Comment