Saturday, January 25, 2014

SAVATAGE - Edge of Thorns (1993)

The Last Benediction


I met this band after reading some news in Polish Metal Hammer (1993), you know, they called them as ‘a good heavy metal band’. So I decided to check this out. I bought a tape (not original with wrong order of the tracks, but believe me, it wasn’t any handicap), and after first listening to this album I… loved the band forever. In those days I knew nothing about the colossal past of the band, but also about hard times (e.g. “Fight for the Rock” moments, drugs and alcohol stories…). Then the terrific message about Criss unexpected death came to my mind. Everything happened so fast, from exultancy to entire low spirits. But one thing was (and still is!) obvious for me, I hope you can understand it. Just read the words below.

“Edge of Thorns” is a decisive album, also I can use here the term ‘decisive victory’. Why? I will try to explain it. I have to back in time and tell something about “Streets” album recorded in 1991. After promoting tour of this album, Jon decided to resign his singing. The band had to find another vocalist. They chose Zachary Stevens from Wicked Witch band. I can imagine that there were grave apprehensions. Everybody knew Jon was the best vocalist for the band, but fortunately Zak showed he deserved to be a member of this band at that time. At the beginning I want to write something about front cover (Gary Smith as the author). When I saw it for the first time, I was in raptures. Now, after all these years of being Savatage fan, I consider this picture not only as the best front cover in Savatage career, but also as the thought-provoking thing. Namely there is a young dressed lightly woman which holds the rose and licks it. I think this painting is taken from fantasy world, but the most important thing is overhead. This is the effigy of some horrid demon. And here one question attacks my mind: is it some kind of divination? Some kind of bad omen? Did this demon become a herald of death? The death of Criss Oliva??? Still I have no answers for all these questions.

As I mentioned above, this album completely differs as compared to the great predecessor. The first and the most important thing: the style of the band. Here I can find elements of heavy and even power mixed with some progressive tunes as well. The production of Paul O’Neill (with co-production by Oliva brothers) is just crushing, everything is audible, tunes are crystal, there is no sterility so common nowadays. Indirectly by such production the band got bigger two words describing the music: epic and monumental. Just listen to the first song and you will understand what I am writing about. Opening title track is one of the best heavy metal anthem ever created by human being. This characteristic piano melody played by Jon is like a gate to another secret kingdom. So let the feast begin! Pounding, powerful guitar riffs become a mid-tempo song with eminent, majestic Zak vocals (here something about it: vocals of Zak completely differ, he has cleaner tone of voice). After about 2:45 the song starts to change its nature, when Criss shows his remarkable talent (outstanding solo lead), after 3:25 Criss plays solo again at the start by himself… This is his song definitely…  The second is also excellent, but it is opened by a calm guitar introduction, singing, rhythmical section and when we reach 47th second, the heavy metal hell is unleashed. The furious riff splits the sky, here I can find boundless energy, passion and another change of tempo in the half of the song with Criss solo (I do not know what adjective to use to describe his beautiful performance; as always anyway…), “He Carves His Stone” speeds up with demonic screams of Zak. The third song “Lights Out” is, from the very beginning, very high-spirited shot between the eyes. It definitely amazes. Why? Listen to the guitar work! Criss and his guitar is a synonym of harmony and unity for me. The next song “Skraggy’s Tomb” is the first representant of the special group of tracks where I can find mid-tempo, hard heavy riffs, excellent melodious chorus, about 2:40 the band slows down in very mysterious way with transformed Zak vocals, when after few seconds everything explodes into my senses. And the next guitar lead enslaves my thirsty mind…

Emotions still dance on the stage, when Savatage proposes instrumental “Labyrinths”, only one and a half minute miniature (with a subtle piano opening, solo lead heavy tunes on the end) which is in fact an introduction to the colossal “Follow Me”. I wrote ‘colossal’ because this word really depicts the potency of this song, it provides the most beautiful emotions to me, tunes and tones change ceaselessly. Acoustic fragments alternate with eruption of heavy metal symphony, sensual vocals of Zak become complete with almost powerful screams, and the great guitar Criss performances dominate over all. When there is only one minute to the end, the band carries me into another dimension… The next “Exit Music” is totally different. It is like a calm after violent storm, it is played only by Jon. Our ship survived to hear following excellent tunes given by the next “Degrees of Sanity”. This song belongs to the group I wrote earlier, I find here some similarity to “Skraggy’s Tomb”, but this one has heavier riffs, the rest is the same: great vocals, fascinating Criss and this beautiful chorus, solo lead arouses admiration once again, I have impression that this kind of music is able to irrigate some desert land and make flora grow up. This is amazing indeed… So, let’s return to another song called “Conversation Piece” which also belongs to the group. It is characterized by hard guitar riffs reminding the song before. And what can I write here: again I am in contact with eternal masterpiece, the heaviest riffs here with some mystery in guitar work, and again excellent melodic structures of chorus (both vocals and guitars), generally the basic of the song is restless and turbulent but the solo lead is like a crystal in congealed lava.

After these two perfect metal impacts, “All That I Bleed” comes as a ballad and this is the weakest effort on the album. Even it has some harder moments (and that is very good by the way), the song doesn’t convince me, maybe because of uninterested beginning? Only the marvelous guitar lead saves the song. Fortunately the next “Damien” rapidly kills this really temporary unfavourable impression and takes the album on the masterly level again. Almost four minutes go by very fast and the next track started to show its beauty. The first opening seconds remind “All That I Bleed” a bit (guitar here, not the piano), but yes, it is not the same when about 1:20 I can hear this mighty guitar and wall crushing drums and bass. Generally “Miles Away” is rather very optimistic due to the sounds, I think Savatage member have a boundless joy to play such specific music. I consciously wrote ‘specific’ for one reason: great talent and genius. The album is closed by “Sleep” (good title by the way), which is in fact a kind of ballad (much, much better than “All That I Bleed”), but here Savatage avoids stereotypes and proposes own vision of a ‘ballad’. I can admire what kind of magic is here, when Criss and Zak give these wonderful tunes to the listener. And writing definitely on the end of this “Edge of Thorns” MUSIC I have to say that in the title of the last song I find next (and final) prophecy, the sign the tragic days will come very soon… But then I didn’t even think about it… Only music was ruling my mind.

This album is the end of Criss era and the beginning of something new in Savatage career at a time. The musicians started to mix heavy metal elements with progressive and symphonic sounds. Is it correct in my opinion? I am unconvinced if it is good choice for the band, but do not get me wrong, Savatage will record one masterpiece with the highest mark, what is more, each album without Criss has a special place on my metal shelf (and in my heart naturally). But I am sure as shooting, the band doesn’t stand rooted to the ground, they knowingly develop his music. Unfortunately nobody could replace such a guitarist as Criss. The future solo leads and guitar works are very good (e.g. Caffery/Pitrelli duo), but I cannot say about it as ‘genius’. I know I wrote almost eulogy, but “Edge of Thorns” is coronation all the things Criss did or recorded. Is this guitar last effort the best? I don’t know. Writing such words about it, I also can add I really appreciate the rest of Savatage members, especially Jon Oliva and Paul O’Neill (I still remember his enormous contribution in times before releasing of “Hall of the Mountain King”). In my opinion the mark of this album is obvious and as clear as crystal. The album which is in fact the copestone of the Big Four consisting of mentioned above “Hall of the Mountain King”, “Gutter Ballet” (where pure heavy metal dominates), “Streets – A Rock Opera” (this title says it all) and “Edge of Thorns”.

The final album of the mighty Big Four is a brilliant example how musicians should play heavy metal. For 99,9% metal musicians this level is out of the reach. But here I am not surprised. There are many weak bands, good, or even very good bands, but it is hard to jump on the shelf with title: “unique”. Savatage has two genius persons (supported by O’Neill), so it is much easier to create genius metal works. And if Criss had been alive, he would have created next heavy metal masterpieces undoubtedly. For sure “Handful of Rain” wouldn’t see the light of day, for sure next excellent metal story would be painted, for sure the band would have more great albums… Here I can remember that the last opus “Poets and Madmen” (with Jon vocals once again!) was recorded in 2001, so there are ten years of annoying silence. What a pity, but it seems that Jon Oliva prefers to discover another metal territories under the different banners…

Well, many words of wisdom about “Edge of Thorns” have been written, now it’s time for ship’s arrival. The haven when the best music and art dominate amidst greyness, dullness and no hope…

(to the memory of Christopher Michael Oliva) 

100/100
-Tlacaxipehualiztli

(previously written for Encyclopaedia Metallum, on April, 2011, now modified a bit)

No comments:

Post a Comment