Friday, January 31, 2014

ZARPA - La Zarpa y el sable (2009)

Facing the Valencian Community Legend


This compilation is taken from the twelfth issue (2009) of Polish magazine Hard Rocker. And after first listening to this, simply I loved Zarpa. I couldn’t believe the band was so good, yet so unknown musically for me. That’s true I read one review (“Infierno” album) in Polish magazine (“Heavy Metal Pages”) with quite good overall mark on the end, but nothing more. No reviews, no informations, no news. Fortunately one lucky day came into my metal world and I can praise the Spaniards now. In short and laconic info about the band, Iron Maiden was given as the main influence for Zarpa, moreover they were described as Spanish Iron Maiden. Maybe it was written to draw more interest, or maybe somebody found some similarities because Zarpa is as old as the band from London, but for me such statement is a pure bullshit and anything but ignorantia elenchi.

Yep, let’s leave this empty talk, because Zarpa music defends staunchly its stronghold. On the start I have to point out that this compilation is rather strange for me, I mean the choice of the songs is inconsistent. I was assured about cross-sectional of the band’s creativity, but only one track called “Herederos de un imperio” comes from the eighties. But this song is… the best one here! It contains the essence of these olden times, maybe my comparison goes through Atlantic to some US bands (esp. Omen’s debut), but it doesn’t change that this song is a pure heavy metal killer! Moreover, it is one of the best heavy tunes I have ever heard in this genre. The formula is simple: mindcrushing riffs, excellent guitar leads (just listen to solo lasting approx fifty seconds…) and vivid rhythm section with characteristic and real singing, in addition: no fuckin’ digitals, triggers and so on. Almost five minutes of crystalline heavy metal magic pump new blood into my veins…

The rest of the songs are taken from this century, and I can hear another band. Different production, different vocals (but the same incredible Vicente Fejióo), different feelings. But I won’t say that newer Zarpa is far worse, no, the band shows another dimension of heavy metal, yet it is still absolutely brilliant performance. Just take a listen to the second “Babilonia la ramera” or the next “Fantasmas de pasado”, both taken from “Infierno” album. I admire excellent riffs structure as well as guitar leads, Vicente sings in the middle way, everything is audible, even demolishing bass guitar lines. There is also one important thing, namely the melody of the songs. The Spaniards don’t propose easy melodic tunes, the listener has to listen to it many times to discover all the riches. My only doubt is connected with the first “El poder de la fe”: it is opened by calm acoustic fragments with flute when clear-cut melody flies freely in the air, I like this very much, as well as powerful guitar passages. Unfortunately about third minute there are some chants in the melody line from the beginning that effectively uglify the entirety. Yep, the beginning isn’t the best here, but the last track called “Crystal Vipers Warriors” simply destroys my speakers. This one is the fastest here and I can’t stand on my chair! Definitely classic heavy stuff.

Of course, this is compilation cd only, and I do not listen to such recordings very often, yet as I wrote earlier, this was my first meeting with these Spaniards, but till then I didn’t buy any Zarpa stuff. Why? Who the hell knows? For sure it is perfect record for the start to know this band. It’s a pity that only one song is taken from their first records, but nowadays recordings aren’t bad. This band is worthy to give them a chance, they have been existed in metal world since 1977 (!) and in my opinion they are completely unknown. Recommended for all heavy metal worshippers.      

90/100
-Tlacaxipehualiztli

(previously written for Encyclopaedia Metallum, on October, 2012, now modified a bit)

No comments:

Post a Comment